Aug 1, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
You knew it wouldn’t take long, but the Anaheim Ducks are going to retire Teemu Selanne’s number.
The Ducks announced they’ll be lifting his No. 8 into the rafters on January 11, 2015 when they host the Winnipeg Jets. In 15 seasons with the Ducks, the “Finnish Flash” piled up 457 of his 684 career goals and had 988 points with Anaheim alone. He is, without a doubt, the franchise’s greatest player and the face of the Ducks franchise. He was a member of the 2007 Ducks team that won the Stanley Cup.
While retiring his number was never in doubt, there’s the possibility Selanne will have a something else on his schedule that night. Jokerit of the KHL, who has been wooing Selanne to play one more year in Finland, has a game against CSKA Moscow on January 11.
It’d be a bit of a downer to have a number retirement ceremony without the guest of honor, no? Selanne hasn’t made a decision whether he’ll play in Finland next season, but for the time being it looks like he’ll be in Southern California come January.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 2
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)