Aug 1, 2014, 3:58 PM EST
You knew it wouldn’t take long, but the Anaheim Ducks are going to retire Teemu Selanne’s number.
The Ducks announced they’ll be lifting his No. 8 into the rafters on January 11, 2015 when they host the Winnipeg Jets. In 15 seasons with the Ducks, the “Finnish Flash” piled up 457 of his 684 career goals and had 988 points with Anaheim alone. He is, without a doubt, the franchise’s greatest player and the face of the Ducks franchise. He was a member of the 2007 Ducks team that won the Stanley Cup.
While retiring his number was never in doubt, there’s the possibility Selanne will have a something else on his schedule that night. Jokerit of the KHL, who has been wooing Selanne to play one more year in Finland, has a game against CSKA Moscow on January 11.
It’d be a bit of a downer to have a number retirement ceremony without the guest of honor, no? Selanne hasn’t made a decision whether he’ll play in Finland next season, but for the time being it looks like he’ll be in Southern California come January.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 42
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (126)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)