Aug 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
In the end, the Montreal Canadiens and restricted free agent P.K. Subban weren’t able to avoid potentially the unpleasant process of arguing his worth to an arbitrator. There was no last minute deal prior to the 9:00 a.m. ET hearing and it consequently went ahead as scheduled, per the Canadian Press.
Subban, who completed a two-year, $5.75 million contract, reportedly requested an $8.5 million salary for the 2014-15 campaign to the arbitrator while the Canadiens countered with $5.25 million. The arbitrator is not bound to pick one of those numbers and can instead choose any figure in between them.
A decision on the 25-year-old defenseman’s salary will come within the next 48 hours, but Subban and Montreal can still avoid that if they agree to terms before the ruling is announced. The 2013 Norris Trophy winner has expressed an interest in being a “lifer” with the Canadiens.
Obviously, going through with arbitration isn’t an ideal scenario for Montreal, especially given that Subban is a cornerstone of their franchise. This also isn’t the first time the two sides have had difficulty seeing eye-to-eye when it comes to his compensation. Subban missed the start of the 2013 campaign because he couldn’t agree to terms on a new contract with Montreal.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)