Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Maybe the Philadelphia Flyers should ask all of their players to avoid playing unsupervised sports in the summer.
Last year, captain Claude Giroux suffered a freak finger injury while playing golf. This time around, No. 1 goalie Steve Mason apparently broke his right pinky finger while playing ball hockey on Sunday. Flyers GM Ron Hextall acknowledged the injury and gave him a two-week window of recovery today:
“Steve Mason broke his right pinky finger playing hockey in Oakville, Ontario on Sunday, July 27. Mason will miss approximately two (2) weeks of on-ice training but will continue with his off-ice training.”
That’s a tough break for Mason, especially since he aims to prove that he’s worthy of the contract extension he signed with the team after a positive first (full) campaign with the Flyers in 2013-14.
Then again, it’s not really that significant of a setback being that it sounds like he should be good to go for training camp (unless the team’s being overly optimistic). It’s also true that the 26-year-old isn’t dealing with the worst summer hockey-related injury in recent memory, either.
Flyers players shouldn’t be shocked if the message after 2014-15 exit interviews is “take it easy this summer,” though …
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)