Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Maybe the Philadelphia Flyers should ask all of their players to avoid playing unsupervised sports in the summer.
Last year, captain Claude Giroux suffered a freak finger injury while playing golf. This time around, No. 1 goalie Steve Mason apparently broke his right pinky finger while playing ball hockey on Sunday. Flyers GM Ron Hextall acknowledged the injury and gave him a two-week window of recovery today:
“Steve Mason broke his right pinky finger playing hockey in Oakville, Ontario on Sunday, July 27. Mason will miss approximately two (2) weeks of on-ice training but will continue with his off-ice training.”
That’s a tough break for Mason, especially since he aims to prove that he’s worthy of the contract extension he signed with the team after a positive first (full) campaign with the Flyers in 2013-14.
Then again, it’s not really that significant of a setback being that it sounds like he should be good to go for training camp (unless the team’s being overly optimistic). It’s also true that the 26-year-old isn’t dealing with the worst summer hockey-related injury in recent memory, either.
Flyers players shouldn’t be shocked if the message after 2014-15 exit interviews is “take it easy this summer,” though …
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 0
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 7
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 19
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)