Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Maybe the Philadelphia Flyers should ask all of their players to avoid playing unsupervised sports in the summer.
Last year, captain Claude Giroux suffered a freak finger injury while playing golf. This time around, No. 1 goalie Steve Mason apparently broke his right pinky finger while playing ball hockey on Sunday. Flyers GM Ron Hextall acknowledged the injury and gave him a two-week window of recovery today:
“Steve Mason broke his right pinky finger playing hockey in Oakville, Ontario on Sunday, July 27. Mason will miss approximately two (2) weeks of on-ice training but will continue with his off-ice training.”
That’s a tough break for Mason, especially since he aims to prove that he’s worthy of the contract extension he signed with the team after a positive first (full) campaign with the Flyers in 2013-14.
Then again, it’s not really that significant of a setback being that it sounds like he should be good to go for training camp (unless the team’s being overly optimistic). It’s also true that the 26-year-old isn’t dealing with the worst summer hockey-related injury in recent memory, either.
Flyers players shouldn’t be shocked if the message after 2014-15 exit interviews is “take it easy this summer,” though …
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)