Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Maybe the Philadelphia Flyers should ask all of their players to avoid playing unsupervised sports in the summer.
Last year, captain Claude Giroux suffered a freak finger injury while playing golf. This time around, No. 1 goalie Steve Mason apparently broke his right pinky finger while playing ball hockey on Sunday. Flyers GM Ron Hextall acknowledged the injury and gave him a two-week window of recovery today:
“Steve Mason broke his right pinky finger playing hockey in Oakville, Ontario on Sunday, July 27. Mason will miss approximately two (2) weeks of on-ice training but will continue with his off-ice training.”
That’s a tough break for Mason, especially since he aims to prove that he’s worthy of the contract extension he signed with the team after a positive first (full) campaign with the Flyers in 2013-14.
Then again, it’s not really that significant of a setback being that it sounds like he should be good to go for training camp (unless the team’s being overly optimistic). It’s also true that the 26-year-old isn’t dealing with the worst summer hockey-related injury in recent memory, either.
Flyers players shouldn’t be shocked if the message after 2014-15 exit interviews is “take it easy this summer,” though …
- All eyes on Lundqvist 5
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)