Jul 25, 2010, 3:13 PM EDT
The other day we told you about Canucks defenseman Sami Salo tearing his Achilles tendon while playing floor hockey (or rather Floor Ball) this summer. What’s been a bit odd about everything is the lack of details about the injury being offered up by anyone. Salo isn’t discussing it, the Canucks aren’t commenting on matters, and the Vancouver papers are all hunting for anyone to talk about it.
As it turns out, even reports out of Finland, Salo’s home country, are sparse and Canucks blog The White Towel wants to know what’s up with all the secrecy.
Salo has won Olympic silver and bronze representing Finland, but apparently lacks the star appeal of, say, a Steve Nash or Justin Morneau, who if they were to suffer a possible career-ending injury kicking a soccer ball around in the offseason back in B.C. it would be news splashed all over the place.
But a quick scan of the two newspapers from Salo’s hometown of Turku found online, Abo Underrattelser and Turun Sanomat, and the 10 Helsinki papers available online, shows no mention of Salo after the briefest of notices on Friday.
“It’s sad, but Sami’s not big news here,” one Finnish sports reporter said.
The Province tried to contact Salo by phone at his Finnish home, but no one picked up on the other end. It’s understandable the injury-prone D-man doesn’t feel like talking about his 40th injury.
But the Canucks could do a lot more than merely confirm the reports out of Finland before issuing a terse “There will be no further comment from the club or Salo at this time.”
Did the injury occur in June, as the reports say? If so, did the club only find out Friday when local media began calling? Why all the secrecy? Is Salo’s career kaput?
These are all great questions to ask and it makes things a bit frustrating that no one wants to give any answers just yet. It’s not as if they Canucks aren’t losing much here. Salo was likely going to be one of their top four defensemen and his offensive ability makes him a key component to their power play as well. There’s also the whole part about putting the potential trading of Kevin Bieksa into limbo as well.
At the very least, The White Towel was able to have some fun at the expense of online translators when finding a description of Sami Salo.
“Sami Salo is a professional ice hockey sports magazine according to the information seriously injured in training by June.”
I wonder if that magazine’s pages fall out when you pick it up.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)