Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Frolik had 15 goals and 27 assists for the Jets in 2013-14. The 26-year-old was traded to Winnipeg from Chicago last summer.
While the potential ugliness of an arbitration hearing was avoided, the two sides were unable to agree on a long-term deal, which means Frolik can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
According to Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press, a five-year deal was being discussed, but it ultimately never came together in time.
Update: More quotes here from Frolik’s agent, Allan Walsh.
“Clearly, it’s been mutually expressed that there is a strong desire to get something done,” said Walsh. “We expect to begin talking again and get something done well before the end of the season. That’s our hope and our intention.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)