Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Frolik had 15 goals and 27 assists for the Jets in 2013-14. The 26-year-old was traded to Winnipeg from Chicago last summer.
While the potential ugliness of an arbitration hearing was avoided, the two sides were unable to agree on a long-term deal, which means Frolik can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
According to Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press, a five-year deal was being discussed, but it ultimately never came together in time.
Update: More quotes here from Frolik’s agent, Allan Walsh.
“Clearly, it’s been mutually expressed that there is a strong desire to get something done,” said Walsh. “We expect to begin talking again and get something done well before the end of the season. That’s our hope and our intention.”
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)