Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Frolik had 15 goals and 27 assists for the Jets in 2013-14. The 26-year-old was traded to Winnipeg from Chicago last summer.
While the potential ugliness of an arbitration hearing was avoided, the two sides were unable to agree on a long-term deal, which means Frolik can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
According to Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press, a five-year deal was being discussed, but it ultimately never came together in time.
Update: More quotes here from Frolik’s agent, Allan Walsh.
“Clearly, it’s been mutually expressed that there is a strong desire to get something done,” said Walsh. “We expect to begin talking again and get something done well before the end of the season. That’s our hope and our intention.”
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)