Jul 26, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
If you’re wondering how contract negotiations are going between the Montreal Canadiens and P.K. Subban, you’re not going to find out from the 2013 Norris Trophy winner.
Subban was in attendance at the RBC Canadian Open golf tournament in Montreal on Saturday and spoke with reporters briefly, but wasn’t eager to discuss how talks were going in getting a new deal done as Bill Beacon of The Canadian Press (via TSN) shared.
“I’ll answer one question about the negotiation: It’s been kept pretty quiet the whole time and it’s going to remain that way until a deal’s done,” Subban said. “As of right now, I’m just trying to enjoy the day and not think of anything.”
Subban is scheduled to go to arbitration with the Canadiens on Friday, August 1 if the two sides can’t get a deal done by then. With a week to go, that’s plenty of time for both sides to come to an agreement.
Subban is coming off a two-year, $5.75 million deal signed out of the lockout. Chances are very likely that Subban, now with a NHL award under his belt, will command more than that per year in his next contract.
If a deal isn’t done before Wednesday, we’ll find out where both sides stand in negotiations in arbitration as they have to submit what they believe should be paid out as a reward. The smart move for Montreal is to get a long-term deal done before anyone has to go to court.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)