Jan 28, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Despite some tense moments, P.K. Subban signed a two-year contract with the Montreal Canadiens on Monday.
TVA Sports Louis Jean reports that the deal is worth $5.75 million overall, with 2012-13 paying out $2 million and 2013-14 providing a $3.75 million salary. That’s impressive work for new Habs GM Marc Bergevin, who apparently did hold strong and convinced Subban to take a deal worth just a little more than fellow RFA blueliners Dmitry Kulikov and Michael Del Zotto.
In fact, if you’re a Habs fan or Bergevin, this calls for a triple low-five (via Getty):
The team announced that Subban will join the team on Wednesday, although that doesn’t guarantee he’ll play against Ottawa on that day. He’ll miss Tuesday’ match versus Winnipeg for sure, then.
The 23-year-old has played an increasingly large role in Montreal’s defense since becoming a regular in 2010-11. Subban scored seven goals and 36 points last season, which represented a drop-off from 2010-11, but his 24:18 minutes per game showed that he was a cornerstone of the team’s defense.
Getting him for less than $3 million for the next two seasons (a $2.875 million cap hit, to be exact) is quite the steal.
Of course, it only holds off the next potential big payday, as this bridge deal covers Subban and the Canadiens until the 2014 off-season.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 24
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 17
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 56
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)