Jan 28, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
Despite some tense moments, P.K. Subban signed a two-year contract with the Montreal Canadiens on Monday.
TVA Sports Louis Jean reports that the deal is worth $5.75 million overall, with 2012-13 paying out $2 million and 2013-14 providing a $3.75 million salary. That’s impressive work for new Habs GM Marc Bergevin, who apparently did hold strong and convinced Subban to take a deal worth just a little more than fellow RFA blueliners Dmitry Kulikov and Michael Del Zotto.
In fact, if you’re a Habs fan or Bergevin, this calls for a triple low-five (via Getty):
The team announced that Subban will join the team on Wednesday, although that doesn’t guarantee he’ll play against Ottawa on that day. He’ll miss Tuesday’ match versus Winnipeg for sure, then.
The 23-year-old has played an increasingly large role in Montreal’s defense since becoming a regular in 2010-11. Subban scored seven goals and 36 points last season, which represented a drop-off from 2010-11, but his 24:18 minutes per game showed that he was a cornerstone of the team’s defense.
Getting him for less than $3 million for the next two seasons (a $2.875 million cap hit, to be exact) is quite the steal.
Of course, it only holds off the next potential big payday, as this bridge deal covers Subban and the Canadiens until the 2014 off-season.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 19
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 17
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)