Jul 26, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
It appears that Jimmy Hayes and the Florida Panthers are likely to go all the way to salary arbitration, according to a report by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Harvey Fialkov.
There’s no word yet on how wide the divide might be between the Panthers and the towering 24-year-old forward. Hayes is scheduled to go through that process on Tuesday, so there’s plenty of time for the two parties to bridge the gap.
Hayes was originally a Toronto Maple Leafs second-round pick (60th overall in 2008) but was flipped to the Chicago Blackhawks for a second-rounder in 2010. He played a total of 43 games over three seasons for the Blackhawks, including two with Chicago in 2013-14 before ultimately being flipped to the Panthers as part of the Kris Versteeg trade.
He already topped his most noteworthy Blackhawks totals in that short time with Florida, scoring 11 goals, 18 points and generating 18 penalty minutes in 53 contests. Hayes’ 2013-14 salary was $687,500 at the NHL level.
Fialkov points out that it could be a competitive training camp for Hayes and other Panthers forwards:
Including Hayes, the Panthers have 14 forwards on the roster, as well as young forwards such as Rocco Grimaldi, Vincent Trocheck, Garrett Wilson and Quinton Howden all vying for potential roster spots.
Interestingly, Hayes’ younger brother Kevin Hayes also faces contract-related uncertainty this summer.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)