Jul 26, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
It appears that Jimmy Hayes and the Florida Panthers are likely to go all the way to salary arbitration, according to a report by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Harvey Fialkov.
There’s no word yet on how wide the divide might be between the Panthers and the towering 24-year-old forward. Hayes is scheduled to go through that process on Tuesday, so there’s plenty of time for the two parties to bridge the gap.
Hayes was originally a Toronto Maple Leafs second-round pick (60th overall in 2008) but was flipped to the Chicago Blackhawks for a second-rounder in 2010. He played a total of 43 games over three seasons for the Blackhawks, including two with Chicago in 2013-14 before ultimately being flipped to the Panthers as part of the Kris Versteeg trade.
He already topped his most noteworthy Blackhawks totals in that short time with Florida, scoring 11 goals, 18 points and generating 18 penalty minutes in 53 contests. Hayes’ 2013-14 salary was $687,500 at the NHL level.
Fialkov points out that it could be a competitive training camp for Hayes and other Panthers forwards:
Including Hayes, the Panthers have 14 forwards on the roster, as well as young forwards such as Rocco Grimaldi, Vincent Trocheck, Garrett Wilson and Quinton Howden all vying for potential roster spots.
Interestingly, Hayes’ younger brother Kevin Hayes also faces contract-related uncertainty this summer.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (48)