Jul 26, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
It appears that Jimmy Hayes and the Florida Panthers are likely to go all the way to salary arbitration, according to a report by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Harvey Fialkov.
There’s no word yet on how wide the divide might be between the Panthers and the towering 24-year-old forward. Hayes is scheduled to go through that process on Tuesday, so there’s plenty of time for the two parties to bridge the gap.
Hayes was originally a Toronto Maple Leafs second-round pick (60th overall in 2008) but was flipped to the Chicago Blackhawks for a second-rounder in 2010. He played a total of 43 games over three seasons for the Blackhawks, including two with Chicago in 2013-14 before ultimately being flipped to the Panthers as part of the Kris Versteeg trade.
He already topped his most noteworthy Blackhawks totals in that short time with Florida, scoring 11 goals, 18 points and generating 18 penalty minutes in 53 contests. Hayes’ 2013-14 salary was $687,500 at the NHL level.
Fialkov points out that it could be a competitive training camp for Hayes and other Panthers forwards:
Including Hayes, the Panthers have 14 forwards on the roster, as well as young forwards such as Rocco Grimaldi, Vincent Trocheck, Garrett Wilson and Quinton Howden all vying for potential roster spots.
Interestingly, Hayes’ younger brother Kevin Hayes also faces contract-related uncertainty this summer.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)