Jul 26, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
It appears that Jimmy Hayes and the Florida Panthers are likely to go all the way to salary arbitration, according to a report by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Harvey Fialkov.
There’s no word yet on how wide the divide might be between the Panthers and the towering 24-year-old forward. Hayes is scheduled to go through that process on Tuesday, so there’s plenty of time for the two parties to bridge the gap.
Hayes was originally a Toronto Maple Leafs second-round pick (60th overall in 2008) but was flipped to the Chicago Blackhawks for a second-rounder in 2010. He played a total of 43 games over three seasons for the Blackhawks, including two with Chicago in 2013-14 before ultimately being flipped to the Panthers as part of the Kris Versteeg trade.
He already topped his most noteworthy Blackhawks totals in that short time with Florida, scoring 11 goals, 18 points and generating 18 penalty minutes in 53 contests. Hayes’ 2013-14 salary was $687,500 at the NHL level.
Fialkov points out that it could be a competitive training camp for Hayes and other Panthers forwards:
Including Hayes, the Panthers have 14 forwards on the roster, as well as young forwards such as Rocco Grimaldi, Vincent Trocheck, Garrett Wilson and Quinton Howden all vying for potential roster spots.
Interestingly, Hayes’ younger brother Kevin Hayes also faces contract-related uncertainty this summer.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 15
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 46
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 20
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 34
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)