Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
First, Derrick Pouliot needs to get healthy after undergoing shoulder surgery in May.
“A couple of veteran guys are out of the system now, so it’s an opportunity for maybe some younger guys to step up and earn their spots,” Pouliot said recently, per NHL.com. “But you have to earn it and, first and foremost, get healthy.”
A star with the powerhouse Portland Winterhawks of the WHL, Pouliot was the 8th overall pick in the 2012 draft, the offensive d-man the Penguins selected with the pick they received from Carolina in the Jordan Staal trade.
As for his recovery from surgery, Pouliot says it’s “coming along good” and is hoping he can be healthy for training camp. If he’s able, he’ll battle with the likes of Simon Despres, Robert Bortuzzo, Brian Dumoulin, and Scott Harrington for an opportunity with the big club.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)