Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
First, Derrick Pouliot needs to get healthy after undergoing shoulder surgery in May.
“A couple of veteran guys are out of the system now, so it’s an opportunity for maybe some younger guys to step up and earn their spots,” Pouliot said recently, per NHL.com. “But you have to earn it and, first and foremost, get healthy.”
A star with the powerhouse Portland Winterhawks of the WHL, Pouliot was the 8th overall pick in the 2012 draft, the offensive d-man the Penguins selected with the pick they received from Carolina in the Jordan Staal trade.
As for his recovery from surgery, Pouliot says it’s “coming along good” and is hoping he can be healthy for training camp. If he’s able, he’ll battle with the likes of Simon Despres, Robert Bortuzzo, Brian Dumoulin, and Scott Harrington for an opportunity with the big club.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 9
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 9
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 12
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 19
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 38
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8