Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
First, Derrick Pouliot needs to get healthy after undergoing shoulder surgery in May.
“A couple of veteran guys are out of the system now, so it’s an opportunity for maybe some younger guys to step up and earn their spots,” Pouliot said recently, per NHL.com. “But you have to earn it and, first and foremost, get healthy.”
A star with the powerhouse Portland Winterhawks of the WHL, Pouliot was the 8th overall pick in the 2012 draft, the offensive d-man the Penguins selected with the pick they received from Carolina in the Jordan Staal trade.
As for his recovery from surgery, Pouliot says it’s “coming along good” and is hoping he can be healthy for training camp. If he’s able, he’ll battle with the likes of Simon Despres, Robert Bortuzzo, Brian Dumoulin, and Scott Harrington for an opportunity with the big club.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5