May 21, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
One of Pittsburgh’s brightest defensive prospects has been shelved for a lengthy period of time.
Derrick Pouliot, the club’s first-round selection (eighth overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, underwent successful surgery on Wednesday to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder, Pens interim GM Jason Botterill said in a statement.
Recovery from said surgery is expected to be 4-6 months, which could extend into the start of the 2014-15 campaign.
Pouliot, 20, recently wrapped another successful campaign with WHL Portland, winning the league’s defenseman of the year award on the strength of 70 points in the regular season and another 32 in the playoffs. He was likely to challenge for a spot on the Pens’ roster to open the ’14-15 campaign, especially given the uncertainty regarding the future of pending veteran UFAs Brooks Orpik, Matt Niskanen and Deryk Engelland.
So, it’ll be interesting how well Pouliot rehabilitates.
Should he recover within four months, he’ll be targeting a mid-September return and would be joining the club midway through the preseason. Should he go the full six months, Pouliot might not be with the Penguins until November, meaning he’d miss (at least) the first four weeks of the regular season.
- Carolina is ‘concerned’ about Jordan Staal, who was helped off the ice 1
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)