Jul 19, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
The New York Rangers may have their third line figured out at last.
According to Larry Brooks of the New York Post, the Rangers have signed forward Lee Stempniak to a one-year contract worth $900,000. Stempniak ended last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins and had 12 goals and 34 points overall with the Pens and Calgary Flames.
Update (10:30 a.m. ET): Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants says the deal isn’t done, but it’s being worked on. Provided something wacky doesn’t happen, you can bet he’ll be in New York.)
Update (1:04 p.m. ET): The Rangers made the signing official via Twitter.
Stempniak joins former Penguins teammate, and Dartmouth College alum, Tanner Glass in New York. Both players had less-than great performances against the Rangers in the postseason but will now hope to help them get back there next season.
Signing the 31-year-old Stempniak serves as a replacement for Benoit Pouliot who signed with Edmonton on July 1. Throw Stempniak on the right side of recently signed Matthew Lombardi and put Mats Zuccarello on the left and now the Rangers appear to have their new third line squared away.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)