Jul 19, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
The New York Rangers may have their third line figured out at last.
According to Larry Brooks of the New York Post, the Rangers have signed forward Lee Stempniak to a one-year contract worth $900,000. Stempniak ended last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins and had 12 goals and 34 points overall with the Pens and Calgary Flames.
Update (10:30 a.m. ET): Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants says the deal isn’t done, but it’s being worked on. Provided something wacky doesn’t happen, you can bet he’ll be in New York.)
Update (1:04 p.m. ET): The Rangers made the signing official via Twitter.
Stempniak joins former Penguins teammate, and Dartmouth College alum, Tanner Glass in New York. Both players had less-than great performances against the Rangers in the postseason but will now hope to help them get back there next season.
Signing the 31-year-old Stempniak serves as a replacement for Benoit Pouliot who signed with Edmonton on July 1. Throw Stempniak on the right side of recently signed Matthew Lombardi and put Mats Zuccarello on the left and now the Rangers appear to have their new third line squared away.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)