Jul 19, 2014, 1:04 PM EST
The New York Rangers may have their third line figured out at last.
According to Larry Brooks of the New York Post, the Rangers have signed forward Lee Stempniak to a one-year contract worth $900,000. Stempniak ended last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins and had 12 goals and 34 points overall with the Pens and Calgary Flames.
Update (10:30 a.m. ET): Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants says the deal isn’t done, but it’s being worked on. Provided something wacky doesn’t happen, you can bet he’ll be in New York.)
Update (1:04 p.m. ET): The Rangers made the signing official via Twitter.
Stempniak joins former Penguins teammate, and Dartmouth College alum, Tanner Glass in New York. Both players had less-than great performances against the Rangers in the postseason but will now hope to help them get back there next season.
Signing the 31-year-old Stempniak serves as a replacement for Benoit Pouliot who signed with Edmonton on July 1. Throw Stempniak on the right side of recently signed Matthew Lombardi and put Mats Zuccarello on the left and now the Rangers appear to have their new third line squared away.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)