Jul 15, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
It’s been an… Interesting offseason for the New York Rangers and it may have gotten a bit more curious.
This signing comes a bit out of left field as Lombardi spent last season playing in the Swiss National League for Geneva-Servette. He played in 46 games and had 20 goals and 50 points to lead the Swiss League in scoring.
Last we saw of Lombardi in the NHL was during the 2012-13 season with the Phoenix Coyotes and Anaheim Ducks where he played in 28 games and had eight points, all with the Coyotes. He has also played for the Toronto Maple Leafs, Nashville Predators, and Calgary Flames.
Lombardi, 32, is known for his speed and penalty killing ability, a pair of traits that could come in handy for the Rangers after losing Benoit Pouliot and Brian Boyle in free agency. If he can provide similar offense to what he showed in Switzerland, that’d be a welcome bonus.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)