Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing

Jul 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Two months removed from his controversial behavior during the handshake line following the Boston Bruins – Montreal Canadiens series, Milan Lucic still isn’t ready to apologize for his actions. He told the Hockey News that he’s at least willing to admit that he was out of line, though.

“I’m not going to apologize for how I acted or what was said,” Lucic said. “But at the end of the day, thinking about it now, maybe I definitely could have handled the situation better than I did. But more than saying what I said to the players, I was upset with losing. I was upset with losing to them. We had such a great team that had won the Presidents’ Trophy and that being the end and losing the way that we did, I think it all just accumulated to me losing my cool in the handshake.”

For those hoping that he’ll admit some wrongdoing, this is a step in the right direction after outright denying any regrets shortly after the incident.

Here’s a video reminder of what took place:

To some, this is really just a matter of Lucic being unwilling to conjure up dishonest feelings toward bitter rivals, really. (One would assume he feels better about the situation than Dino Ciccarelli did about shaking Claude Lemieux’s hand back in 1996 … and it’s not like we haven’t seen the occasional cold shoulder during the pleasantries.)

There’s probably a good number of people who don’t care either way, but consider this: it’s an added reason to get excited about the next regular season meeting between the Bruins and Canadiens. Fans won’t need to wait very long into the 2014-15 campaign for that bout, either (assuming Lucic will be fully healed from wrist surgery), as the teams face off in Montreal on Oct 16.

1. lowenni - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:08 PM

I respect the Bruins, and I think Lucic is an effective player, but what a piece of s*it. The handshake line in hockey is one of the classiest acts in sports and a really respectful way to end hard fought playoff series, and Lucic made a joke of it the same way he makes a joke of the game when he does thing like spearing Danny DeKeyser in the balls. I can’t think of much more douchier things than that–I’m not saying it’s Todd Bertuzzi like where you think “what a horrible criminal act!”, with Lucic I just think “what a dou*he”. He was just mad at Emelin cause Emelin’s laid some big hits on him before, and also Lucic speared Emelin as well so he has no place to chirp. Classless, and he puts a bad name on a classy organization in the Boston Bruins, as does Marchand.

• drewsylvania - Jul 20, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Oh please. The Habs elevate being a dick to higher levels every year. There’s only so many times you can needle someone before they explode.

• drewsylvania - Jul 20, 2014 at 11:08 PM

And you mention Lucic’s spear while ignoring everything else Emelin et al did that series. Your opinion ain’t worth predigested limburger.

2. terrier92 - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Screw the Habs

• 950003cups - Jul 20, 2014 at 6:50 AM

It happens. Not so sure why everyone makes this one the big deal. In 2012 there was almost a fight with Shane Doan and Dustin Brown after that series over a knee on knee hit to Rosival. In 2008 there was the Brodeur and Avery brush. Nobody really talks about that.

My only reason for chastising anyone who chirps in a handshake line is because the kids will emulate it. It’s a rough game. The handshake line should be just that. Anything before that should be settled before that.

• scout202sport - Jul 20, 2014 at 9:32 AM

There wasn’t “almost a fight” between Doan & Brown in the handshake line after that series. Doan said a few things and moved on down the line. They never even squared off. Don’t be a hype

3. skr213 - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I said it at the time: he disrespected the game of hockey and owes everyone an apology for that.

• nunan - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:19 AM

I love people who get all self righteous about things like this. He doesn’t owe anybody anything. Relax.

• lowenni - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:38 AM

He may not owe anyone anything, an apology is his to give and his choice, but doesn’t change the fact that this event just makes him look like even more of an asshole than he already did.

• nunan - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:52 AM

So what..who spends their time getting pissed off about stuff like this? I love it and I think most people secretly do too because it’s entertaining. If it were some huge trend, then ya. If a player occasionally gets so angry he shakes the other guys hand hard and tells him he better watch himself next year, good! It’s called a rivalry. I would be disappointed if there wasn’t passion like this. People will say ‘keep it between the whistles then’ but when it is kept between the whistles, those same people complain about that too. Nothing but emotion here..you think Lucic is an a’hole. I think Subban is as talented as they come but his antics could be considered way more ‘disgraceful’ than Lucic’s. Lucic get’s pissed and confronts people. Subban lacks respect for referees and the game itself by trying to fakes penalties all the time. Want to talk about what damages the game more…the occasional temper tantrum or consistent embellishing? The latter literally effects the integrity of the game, how it’s played, and how it’s officiated. Let’s be realistic.

• winnipegwonder - Jul 20, 2014 at 1:52 AM

I doubt people are pissed off and totally worked up about it. It’s just lame.

• lowenni - Jul 20, 2014 at 2:44 AM

@winnipeg wonder nailed it. I’m not angry about it, I’m not gonna call the NHL and demand I speak to Bettman or anything. It’s just douc*ey. That’s all I was saying. Lucic is a dick.

• Hard to BeLeaf - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM

So if disrespecting the commands a public appology, when are we getting an apology from PK Subban for all the diving he does around the league?

IMO this is way more disrespectful to the ACTUAL GAME than an angry handshake with a rival.

• stixzidinia - Jul 20, 2014 at 1:12 PM

The Boston announcers in that first clip are laughable. I guess they haven’t seen the Embellishment City trilogy.

• Hard to BeLeaf - Jul 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Yeah, Jack Edwards is a clown, but the dive is a dive.

4. flyerspsu - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:56 PM

hes a prick and always will be

5. cliffatola - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Hey leave Lucic alone he is home in Vancouver sunning himself and drinking copious amounts of vinegar and water.

6. phtjoey - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:08 AM

“maybe I definitely could have handled the situation better than I did” maybe? really! hurts to admit he’s wrong i guess. the bruins deserve him, and he the bruins

7. areaman714 - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Put me in the I don’t care either way category.

8. Moop - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:32 AM

I love Lucic as a member of the Bruins, but oh my God, if you’re not willing to apologize just say you’re done commenting on the incident. He’s not winning any fans here at all.

9. dumbassgreg - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:40 AM

people this is a close as he can get to saying he did wrong. he a serb not a group who admits and accepts blame for their sins. just look up what serbs did during Bosnian war.

• lowenni - Jul 20, 2014 at 4:39 AM

No need to bring politics into this. He’s from Vancouver.

• wutangwild - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Wow your user name could not fit you any better. lmao Serbia and Bosnia? wtf man

10. jb8588 - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:46 AM

No surprise considering how much of a DB Lucic is to begin with.

11. mrhyperpants - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:50 AM

One word. Wanker!

12. tdrusher225 - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM

The bigger issue with this incident is that it was symbolic for how much guys like Lucic, along with the rest of the Bruins, completely lost their cool throughout that series. They allowed Montreal to get under their skin on a level that I’ve never seen out of an experienced, Cup-winning team. Montreal is in their heads, and Lucic was a prime example of that.

• chuckdabuck - Jul 20, 2014 at 6:47 AM

What series were u watching? Montreal was very lucky I can’t remember a series with atleast fourteen post and crossbars plus five missed open nets. It’s safe to say that if six of those go in its over in five or six games. It’s clear that the bruins were the best team in the east and the only team in the east who could challenge the west but sometimes you need a little puck luck. I know its stupid to blame post but I guarantee you that the bruins shattered the all time record for post in a series and still went to seven games. It was clear Montreal was lucky to win especially in the next series. Boston prob would have swept the rangers or eat them in five games. By far the best Montreal defender was the goal post.

• stixzidinia - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Posts and crossbars are missed shots. They’d be missed shots with no goaltender in net. This isn’t horseshoes, you don’t get points for being close. And here’s a little newsflash: the better team always wins a 7 game series. Matchups-wise, Montreal is the better hockey team. That’s why they’ve been so successful recently against the B’s.

• tdrusher225 - Jul 20, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Listen, I’m a Bruins fan but even I have to admit they didn’t deserve to win that series. Scoring chances are great but if you can’t score that shows a lack of finishing touch. That’s not luck, that’s a true deficiency in their game. Lucic was a great example of that, whiffing on an empty net isn’t luck. Eriksson taking his sweet time to get a shot off isn’t luck. Krug trying to be fancy instead of getting a quick shot off isn’t luck. You get the point. The one game where the Bruins had quick releases on most of their shots was Game 5. Besides that all the Bruins tried to take their time to make the perfect play instead of firing the puck quickly before Price could get set.

• stixzidinia - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:14 PM

It was Boston in general that lost their cool. Their team is a reflection of that city’s fans. That’s why the N-word was trending in the Boston twitterverse.

• gallyhatch - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM

No, actually it never was.

If you do a little research into it, you’ll find that claims about it trending were retracted.

Subban himself praised Boston and spoke about what great experiences he & his family have when they come to the city. No surprise PHT conveniently ignored these things, because they don’t make for great headlines (or comment sections).

Keep believing and spreading misinformation if that’s what makes you happy though.

• stixzidinia - Jul 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM

No, they weren’t “retracted”. The numbers said it all. Nothing to retract.

• gallyhatch - Jul 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Actually Stix, you’re wrong they were retracted by multiple sources.

Canadian sports journalists Arcadio Marcuzzi (one of the 1st to report the racist tweets) and Gabriel Beland both retracted the stories on Twitter after the fact.

CBC and the Huffington Post are among other major news outlets who also retracted their stories about all the racist tweets.

This is a fact, multiple sources retracted the story / numbers after reporting them.

Do some research, you may look like less of an idiot.

13. bubblehead22 - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Dbag

• thesportsjudge - Jul 20, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Thanks for the disclaimer, now what is your comment?

• tru2joelu4eva - Jul 20, 2014 at 2:36 AM

i think it was a salutation

14. alliceishome - Jul 20, 2014 at 4:17 AM

Ah good, our bi-monthly “Lucic is still a prick’ update

• winnipegwonder - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Hahahaa

15. joeman26 - Jul 20, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Milan Lucic shouldn’t apologize for anything…

16. joeman26 - Jul 20, 2014 at 8:37 AM

there’s not one team in the NHL that wouldn’t want him on their roster

17. bleedrangerblue - Jul 20, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Lucic is a dirty player, a cheap shot artist. Doesn’t surprise me what he did at the handshake line. It only confirms he’s a bigger dirtbag than I thought…

18. rahavort - Jul 20, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I wouldn’t apologize either, it’s the Habs

19. swenny19 - Jul 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Oh, come on. You have all participated in a sporting event against your rival team before. You may not have said things like Lucic did, but is a dirty look and a fake handshake like you don’t want to clock them in the face right then and there any different? This is the NHL playoffs between two of the oldest rivals in the game. Like the writer mentioned, if anything, it should excite you about next season.

20. skeletalrose - Jul 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I could care less either. But as far as I am concerned it doesn’t matter that the B’s lost then, no team in the east was going to beat the west.

21. Hard to BeLeaf - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Want to know a secret? Lucic wasn’t being literal when he said he was going to kill them next year. It was never a big deal. It’s only a big deal because Montreal fans are STILL complaining about it.

22. stixzidinia - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Lucic is a neanderthal. I don’t care about the handshake line business so much as I do his repeated attempts at castrating opposing players with his stick. THAT is something he should apologizing for, or serving lengthy suspensions for at the very least.

• drewsylvania - Jul 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Oh please. What about the much more injurious acts that the Habs pull every time they play the Bruins? They got off scot-free too.

23. gallyhatch - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Yeah, Lucic made an ass out of himself in the playoffs, this is true. I also think this was far from the worst thing that happened in this series.

Honest question: why is Lucic vilified for his extra curricular stick work and the Habs escape criticism for theirs? Chara’s wrist was broken on an uncalled slash, and the Canadiens targeted that wrist for the rest of the series. Markov speared Chara in the groin, got shoved as a result, then looks to the refs with his hands out looking for a penalty. Brad Marchand got a slew foot on at least two occasions in this series, but it’s acceptable because Marchand’s also a d-bag? (which he is, you’ll get no argument from me on that).

Why are all these things overlooked, yet people are still crying about some $hit talk that should have been left on the ice to begin with? (maybe because PHT keeps bringing it up, and most of the people reading / commenting jump at the low hanging fruit rather than form an independent opinion of their own)

Don’t get me wrong, the Bruins’ behavior in this series was also stomach turning (Julien got two bench minors in the series – he’s a headstrong jackass). Lucic embarrassed himself and the team this spring, I definitely think less of him than I did before, but it has nothing to do with what he said in the handshake line.

BOTH teams should be embarrassed about the product that was on the ice .

If a person thinks however, that some $hit talk from the handshake line is a bigger deal than the embarrassing display on the ice in that series, then I outright question their understanding of the game.

• stixzidinia - Jul 20, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Got some clips to back that up? Because I can produce clips of Lucic’s whacks to the balls, especially the one from the Wings series that he should have been suspended for. Or how about Marchand’s punch to Plekanec’s head before the faceoff? Those are things that have absolutely nothing to do with hockey plays. The thing is, nobody does more whining about this stuff than Boston and their fans, and they’re among the absolute worst perpetrators of this stuff. That’s why nobody raises an eyebrow when you guys whine about it. You guys are among the worst offenders so you look like absolute hypocrites when you try and cry about it.

• drewsylvania - Jul 20, 2014 at 11:15 PM

You either don’t watch hockey or don’t know how to watch hockey. One of the biggest idiots on here. Habs whacks and intents-to-injure were all over that series. You’re so sure of yourself, when what we’re all sure of is that you’re an idiot.

• avscup - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Pretty spot on galley hatch.

24. blackhawks2010 - Jul 20, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Grown up Lucic you idiot!

• nunan - Jul 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM

fail

25. bostonisthebestandyouallsukk - Jul 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Look, I’m a B’s fan to the very end, but even I’ll admit Lucic is a filthy Serb.

26. President Charles Logan - Jul 20, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Newsflash…… It’s Hockey….. nobody should apologize for anything.

27. 34defense2014 - Jul 20, 2014 at 7:23 PM

dumbassgreg WOW you really are a dumb ass!!! Serbs? War? WTF are you talking about you Racist piece of …t!!! First of all he slashed him so f…ing hard he broke his hand!! He doesn’t have to apologize to us, the NHL and he certainly doesn’t have to apologize to the f…ing Canadians!! They broke his hand!! They should be apologizing to him if anything!!! Keep it up Lugy!! Don’t give them the satisfaction!! PS. I’m not a Boston fan by any stretch!! But I played Hockey and he’s Human and justified in his actions!! The End

28. icrew29 - Jul 21, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Lucic is not going to change because of the comments on here or because the majority of fans might want him to apologize for his actions. He is doing exactly what he is being paid to do just like Thorton and Marchand. The Bruins love players like Lucic always have. Sooner or later the league will deal with players who use their sticks for something other then what they were intended for.

29. govtminion - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM

…So am I the only person who had experiences like this all the time in handshake lines while playing? Obviously I’m no NHL star, just beer league stuff, but I know that “go **** yourself” was as commonly heard in the lines by both teams as “good game”. Maybe that’s just my experiences, but to me the only reason this became a story is that the Montreal players mentioned it to the media- I’d bet that most handshake lines are like that now and then between heated rivals.

That doesn’t make what Lucic did RIGHT, mind you- even as a B’s fan I thought he was an idiot in that series (see: muscle kissing), but I don’t see why this is such a huge issue.

30. flbruin - Jul 27, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I hate the Habs always have always will. Lucic showed balls by telling them to go to hell. I hope the rest of the team takes notice The habs lost to the lowly Rangers. Joke. The bruins were a MUCH better team.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches