Jul 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
The Detroit Red Wings haven’t been able to attract a top-tier free agent in recent years and some have argued that the presence of coach Mike Babcock is partially to blame. As highly regarded as he is, the thinking goes that free agents might simply want to avoid working for the hard-nosed bench boss.
“The way I look at it here, if you don’t want to be coached, don’t come here,” Babcock countered, per the Detroit Free Press, during an interview on Detroit Sports 105.1. “If you want to be pushed to be the best that you can be, that’s what we do here. You know what? The proof is in the pudding.
“If (the Wings) are concerned about (free agents not liking him), then I should coach somewhere else.”
The Red Wings bench boss added that he cares about his players and wants to see them do things the right way.
“We just have the hard meetings,” Babcock said. “We get it out front. Does it piss people off once in a while? Absolutely. But it also leads to behavioral changes and getting things better. So you know what, I’m not apologizing for that stuff at all. I like to be treated honest.”
Babcock only has a year left on his contract with Detroit and has already made it clear that he won’t negotiate during the season. If he were to become a free agent, there would be plenty of suitors interested in landing the Stanley Cup champion and two-time Olympic gold medalist.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)