Jul 14, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
If there’s a major free agent to be had next summer, it’s likely it will be a superstar coach rather than a player.
Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock is headed into the final year of his contract with the team and there’s already been a lot of speculation about his future. After the job he’s done in Detroit and his masterful work behind the bench with Team Canada during the 2014 Winter Olympics, it’s clear he’s one of the best coaches around.
If Babcock were to become available, it would surely affect how teams decided to handle their own coaching situations. Will he be there to be had in the summer though?
Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press asked the coach how contract talks with the Wings were going and he was his usual elusive self.
There’s no doubt the Wings would love to get it done before the season, but that’s likely up to Babcock whether he wants to stick around or not. If he were to make it to next summer he’d have a host of teams likely begging him to help turn their fortunes around. It’d be a great spot for the 51-year-old to be in as he’d likely become the highest-paid coach in the league and have his choice of where he’d like to be most.
Then again, if the place he wants to be most is Detroit, other teams may not stand a chance. As it is, he’s said plenty of great things about working in Detroit already. Perhaps the coach is just having fun messing with everyone covering this potential big story.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)