Jul 14, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
If there’s a major free agent to be had next summer, it’s likely it will be a superstar coach rather than a player.
Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock is headed into the final year of his contract with the team and there’s already been a lot of speculation about his future. After the job he’s done in Detroit and his masterful work behind the bench with Team Canada during the 2014 Winter Olympics, it’s clear he’s one of the best coaches around.
If Babcock were to become available, it would surely affect how teams decided to handle their own coaching situations. Will he be there to be had in the summer though?
Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press asked the coach how contract talks with the Wings were going and he was his usual elusive self.
There’s no doubt the Wings would love to get it done before the season, but that’s likely up to Babcock whether he wants to stick around or not. If he were to make it to next summer he’d have a host of teams likely begging him to help turn their fortunes around. It’d be a great spot for the 51-year-old to be in as he’d likely become the highest-paid coach in the league and have his choice of where he’d like to be most.
Then again, if the place he wants to be most is Detroit, other teams may not stand a chance. As it is, he’s said plenty of great things about working in Detroit already. Perhaps the coach is just having fun messing with everyone covering this potential big story.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)