Jul 14, 2014, 4:18 PM EST
If there’s a major free agent to be had next summer, it’s likely it will be a superstar coach rather than a player.
Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock is headed into the final year of his contract with the team and there’s already been a lot of speculation about his future. After the job he’s done in Detroit and his masterful work behind the bench with Team Canada during the 2014 Winter Olympics, it’s clear he’s one of the best coaches around.
If Babcock were to become available, it would surely affect how teams decided to handle their own coaching situations. Will he be there to be had in the summer though?
Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press asked the coach how contract talks with the Wings were going and he was his usual elusive self.
There’s no doubt the Wings would love to get it done before the season, but that’s likely up to Babcock whether he wants to stick around or not. If he were to make it to next summer he’d have a host of teams likely begging him to help turn their fortunes around. It’d be a great spot for the 51-year-old to be in as he’d likely become the highest-paid coach in the league and have his choice of where he’d like to be most.
Then again, if the place he wants to be most is Detroit, other teams may not stand a chance. As it is, he’s said plenty of great things about working in Detroit already. Perhaps the coach is just having fun messing with everyone covering this potential big story.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)