Jul 10, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson said last month that the team is committed to rebuilding, but so far it looks like they’ll feature a very similar cast to the one that imploded against the Los Angeles Kings in the first round.
“Scott is a high-character, veteran player who leads by example,” said Wilson. “He understands and accepts his role based on the needs of our team and will be a great mentor for many of the younger players on our roster.”
That might be Wilson hinting that Hannan’s role on the ice will be reduced in 2014-15 as he focuses more on helping the team’s younger players. His presence also means that the team now has five veteran blueliners signed to one-way contracts — six once restricted free agent Jason Demers agrees to terms.
Mirco Mueller, 19, might end up making the Sharks’ as well, but he’ll have to prove himself at training camp.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)