Jul 10, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson said last month that the team is committed to rebuilding, but so far it looks like they’ll feature a very similar cast to the one that imploded against the Los Angeles Kings in the first round.
“Scott is a high-character, veteran player who leads by example,” said Wilson. “He understands and accepts his role based on the needs of our team and will be a great mentor for many of the younger players on our roster.”
That might be Wilson hinting that Hannan’s role on the ice will be reduced in 2014-15 as he focuses more on helping the team’s younger players. His presence also means that the team now has five veteran blueliners signed to one-way contracts — six once restricted free agent Jason Demers agrees to terms.
Mirco Mueller, 19, might end up making the Sharks’ as well, but he’ll have to prove himself at training camp.
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 7
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 34
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 18
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 35
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)