Jul 10, 2014, 4:47 PM EST
San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson said last month that the team is committed to rebuilding, but so far it looks like they’ll feature a very similar cast to the one that imploded against the Los Angeles Kings in the first round.
“Scott is a high-character, veteran player who leads by example,” said Wilson. “He understands and accepts his role based on the needs of our team and will be a great mentor for many of the younger players on our roster.”
That might be Wilson hinting that Hannan’s role on the ice will be reduced in 2014-15 as he focuses more on helping the team’s younger players. His presence also means that the team now has five veteran blueliners signed to one-way contracts — six once restricted free agent Jason Demers agrees to terms.
Mirco Mueller, 19, might end up making the Sharks’ as well, but he’ll have to prove himself at training camp.
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 0
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 26
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 68
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (68)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)