Jul 10, 2014, 4:47 PM EST
San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson said last month that the team is committed to rebuilding, but so far it looks like they’ll feature a very similar cast to the one that imploded against the Los Angeles Kings in the first round.
“Scott is a high-character, veteran player who leads by example,” said Wilson. “He understands and accepts his role based on the needs of our team and will be a great mentor for many of the younger players on our roster.”
That might be Wilson hinting that Hannan’s role on the ice will be reduced in 2014-15 as he focuses more on helping the team’s younger players. His presence also means that the team now has five veteran blueliners signed to one-way contracts — six once restricted free agent Jason Demers agrees to terms.
Mirco Mueller, 19, might end up making the Sharks’ as well, but he’ll have to prove himself at training camp.
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 0
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)