Jul 10, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson said last month that the team is committed to rebuilding, but so far it looks like they’ll feature a very similar cast to the one that imploded against the Los Angeles Kings in the first round.
“Scott is a high-character, veteran player who leads by example,” said Wilson. “He understands and accepts his role based on the needs of our team and will be a great mentor for many of the younger players on our roster.”
That might be Wilson hinting that Hannan’s role on the ice will be reduced in 2014-15 as he focuses more on helping the team’s younger players. His presence also means that the team now has five veteran blueliners signed to one-way contracts — six once restricted free agent Jason Demers agrees to terms.
Mirco Mueller, 19, might end up making the Sharks’ as well, but he’ll have to prove himself at training camp.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 14
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 29
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 26
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 20
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6