Jun 17, 2014, 11:31 PM EST
Change is coming to the San Jose Sharks, a message once again reiterated by the club’s general manager Doug Wilson. And it won’t be just a quick fix. This might take some time.
“The rebuild is committed to. The players that fit for now and the future, their growth is going to be the primary thing. … Remember where we’re trying to get to. It’s not about here, it’s about there,” said Wilson, as per CSN Bay Area.
“I’ve had a lot of calls, a lot of people at the GM meetings (last week in new York), they know where we’re going. We now become a tomorrow team. When you spell that out, it does create a response.”
The Sharks had the eventual Stanley Cup champion L.A. Kings against the ropes and stumbling, with a 3-0 series lead in the opening round. Then came the historic comeback. The Kings went on to win four straight to take that series, and you pretty much know the rest. Another championship for the Kings, another playoff failure for San Jose.
And that has led to all sorts of questions and changes and possible scenarios and possible changes. Prepare for a busy summer.
Let’s have a look at some of those issues and storylines:
- Todd McLellan’s future as head coach appeared in jeopardy: He’s safe, according to reports in May.
- A pair of veteran players in Dan Boyle and Martin Havlat will not be returning to the Sharks next season.
- The Sharks might have to take “one step backward” in order to move forward.
- It seems unlikely the Sharks will make a big splash in free agency.
- This was intriguing: There was a report the Leafs have interest in Joe Thornton, who is 34 years old and has a three-year contract worth an annual cap hit of $6.75 million and a no-movement clause, as per Capgeek.com.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 9
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)