Jun 17, 2014, 11:31 PM EST
Change is coming to the San Jose Sharks, a message once again reiterated by the club’s general manager Doug Wilson. And it won’t be just a quick fix. This might take some time.
“The rebuild is committed to. The players that fit for now and the future, their growth is going to be the primary thing. … Remember where we’re trying to get to. It’s not about here, it’s about there,” said Wilson, as per CSN Bay Area.
“I’ve had a lot of calls, a lot of people at the GM meetings (last week in new York), they know where we’re going. We now become a tomorrow team. When you spell that out, it does create a response.”
The Sharks had the eventual Stanley Cup champion L.A. Kings against the ropes and stumbling, with a 3-0 series lead in the opening round. Then came the historic comeback. The Kings went on to win four straight to take that series, and you pretty much know the rest. Another championship for the Kings, another playoff failure for San Jose.
And that has led to all sorts of questions and changes and possible scenarios and possible changes. Prepare for a busy summer.
Let’s have a look at some of those issues and storylines:
- Todd McLellan’s future as head coach appeared in jeopardy: He’s safe, according to reports in May.
- A pair of veteran players in Dan Boyle and Martin Havlat will not be returning to the Sharks next season.
- The Sharks might have to take “one step backward” in order to move forward.
- It seems unlikely the Sharks will make a big splash in free agency.
- This was intriguing: There was a report the Leafs have interest in Joe Thornton, who is 34 years old and has a three-year contract worth an annual cap hit of $6.75 million and a no-movement clause, as per Capgeek.com.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 43
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 66
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)