Jun 17, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
Change is coming to the San Jose Sharks, a message once again reiterated by the club’s general manager Doug Wilson. And it won’t be just a quick fix. This might take some time.
“The rebuild is committed to. The players that fit for now and the future, their growth is going to be the primary thing. … Remember where we’re trying to get to. It’s not about here, it’s about there,” said Wilson, as per CSN Bay Area.
“I’ve had a lot of calls, a lot of people at the GM meetings (last week in new York), they know where we’re going. We now become a tomorrow team. When you spell that out, it does create a response.”
The Sharks had the eventual Stanley Cup champion L.A. Kings against the ropes and stumbling, with a 3-0 series lead in the opening round. Then came the historic comeback. The Kings went on to win four straight to take that series, and you pretty much know the rest. Another championship for the Kings, another playoff failure for San Jose.
And that has led to all sorts of questions and changes and possible scenarios and possible changes. Prepare for a busy summer.
Let’s have a look at some of those issues and storylines:
- Todd McLellan’s future as head coach appeared in jeopardy: He’s safe, according to reports in May.
- A pair of veteran players in Dan Boyle and Martin Havlat will not be returning to the Sharks next season.
- The Sharks might have to take “one step backward” in order to move forward.
- It seems unlikely the Sharks will make a big splash in free agency.
- This was intriguing: There was a report the Leafs have interest in Joe Thornton, who is 34 years old and has a three-year contract worth an annual cap hit of $6.75 million and a no-movement clause, as per Capgeek.com.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)