Jun 17, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
Change is coming to the San Jose Sharks, a message once again reiterated by the club’s general manager Doug Wilson. And it won’t be just a quick fix. This might take some time.
“The rebuild is committed to. The players that fit for now and the future, their growth is going to be the primary thing. … Remember where we’re trying to get to. It’s not about here, it’s about there,” said Wilson, as per CSN Bay Area.
“I’ve had a lot of calls, a lot of people at the GM meetings (last week in new York), they know where we’re going. We now become a tomorrow team. When you spell that out, it does create a response.”
The Sharks had the eventual Stanley Cup champion L.A. Kings against the ropes and stumbling, with a 3-0 series lead in the opening round. Then came the historic comeback. The Kings went on to win four straight to take that series, and you pretty much know the rest. Another championship for the Kings, another playoff failure for San Jose.
And that has led to all sorts of questions and changes and possible scenarios and possible changes. Prepare for a busy summer.
Let’s have a look at some of those issues and storylines:
- Todd McLellan’s future as head coach appeared in jeopardy: He’s safe, according to reports in May.
- A pair of veteran players in Dan Boyle and Martin Havlat will not be returning to the Sharks next season.
- The Sharks might have to take “one step backward” in order to move forward.
- It seems unlikely the Sharks will make a big splash in free agency.
- This was intriguing: There was a report the Leafs have interest in Joe Thornton, who is 34 years old and has a three-year contract worth an annual cap hit of $6.75 million and a no-movement clause, as per Capgeek.com.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)