Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery

Jul 9, 2014, 1:02 AM EDT

Sidney Crosby Getty Images

Sidney Crosby took heat for his performance in the playoffs, but as it turns out he was playing with a “terrible wrist” and will undergo surgery in a matter of days as a result, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s source.

The source said that the surgery Crosby needs isn’t major, but that he could not “play the same way” due to his injury. Although the exact timetable for his recovery isn’t known, he’s not expected to miss any playing time as a result.

Crosby only scored one goal in 13 playoff games, although he was able to record eight assists. The Penguins lost to the New York Rangers in the second round and their latest disappointing showing in the playoffs led to the dismissal of head coach Dan Bylsma and GM Ray Shero.

After the Penguins’ shakeup, Crosby spoke about the need for Pittsburgh to elevate its game in the playoffs.

“Me personally, I’m not taking myself out of that mix either, going pointless against Boston (in the 2013 conference finals) and not really doing a whole lot in the New York series, it’s not easy to deal with that in the off-season,” Crosby said in June. “You don’t like having memories like that.”

The Post-Gazette wasn’t able to reach Crosby for comment on this story, but he has previously stated that he wasn’t playing through an injury in the postseason.

1. clavette - Jul 9, 2014 at 1:06 AM

if it was that bad he would have had the surgery a lot sooner not the second week of july

i understand sometimes they want to take a approach to give it plenty of time to heal on its own but to say it is terrible and is the reason he played like poop in the playoffs is wrong

• lowenni - Jul 9, 2014 at 1:10 AM

“reason he played like poop in the playoffs”

Are you 8?

• steelpenbucs87 - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:08 AM

That’s not true true. It’s commonplace for athletes to try to rehab an injury first before opting for surgery. Surgery, even arthroscopic surgery, has inherent risks that rehab does not. Players from all sports will try to rehab an injury until such a point where there is no improvement, or surgery is the best option to have them ready for the season to start.

You also have no concept of the severity of the injury and have no idea how much it affected him (or didn’t affect him).

• 950003cups - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Maybe he hurt his wrist jamming it in another mans butt crack? Oh no, sorry, that was Claud Giroux. Didn’t Giroux break his finger in a mans butthole and blamed it on some sort of “golf shaft”?

2. lowenni - Jul 9, 2014 at 1:12 AM

The injury saga goes on. Doesn’t sound too bad and he should come back healthy. Although I hate the Pens it was good to see him finally come over all those concussion issues, and what a season he had. We’ll see if this impacts him at all again and what the Pens can do with Patric Hornqvist.

3. argofckyourself - Jul 9, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Excuses, excuses. Cindy’s wrist didn’t look too bad when he was busy slashing Dom Moore right in front of the refs all series long. I wonder what bogus injury they’ll come up with for why Malkin did nothing throughout the playoffs.

• c9castine - Jul 9, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Malkin had 6 goals 14 pts in 13 playoff games…

• basedrum777 - Jul 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM

If you didn’t watch that series and know the NHL wanted the Rangers then you’re delusional. Just google staal crosby crosscheck to see the numerous times SC was crosschecked in the back of the head by the goons on the Rangers. Idiot.

• drewzducks - Jul 9, 2014 at 11:00 PM

So you’re, rightfully, dismissing his idiotic assertions by making similar assertions of your own? You may want to invest in a copy of “Debating for Dunmies”.

• kaptaanamerica - Jul 10, 2014 at 5:02 AM

malkin doesn’t need excuses like crosby… hence why i’ve been advocating that malkin is the real star on that team…

they should crosby while they can and really get some some solid prospects while the getting is good. the Oilers won back in the day without Gretzky, not like the penguins can’t win without Sid.. should send him packing to some team with some depth to offer the penguins seeing as how they are shiite in the prospects department…

4. ruthlessandtoothless - Jul 9, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Any info on when it happened? He seemed pretty healthy when he was securing the art ross by a 16 point margin.

• argofckyourself - Jul 9, 2014 at 2:19 AM

Maybe he hurt it while he was playing golf after his team got eliminated.

• basedrum777 - Jul 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Argo the Rangers have been relevant in the NHL for 2 years out of 30 in my lifetime. Take a seat.

5. rushledger - Jul 9, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Crosbys family could die in a horrible fire and I’m sure hockey “fans” would still be trashing him on these stupid forums.

• handsofsweed - Jul 9, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Yep. 19 idiots thumbed this down as of 12:21 pm. You have been proven correct, beyond the shadow of a doubt.

6. milkmemalkin - Jul 9, 2014 at 2:42 AM

For sure would have won a cup if he was 100% healthy.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jul 9, 2014 at 3:09 AM

That’s just ridiculous. Even if you beat New York who’s to say the Pen’s would’ve won the ECF’s? Let alone the Stanley Cup against a far more complete LA club on a ridiculous playoff run.

And by the way, relating to your username, how can Pens fans possibly listen to Mike Lange and think he’s entertaining? I know it’s “make me a milkshake Malkin”, not your version of it, but gimme a break. How do folks think he’s creative? “slap me silly Sidney”??

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 9, 2014 at 3:28 AM

Any long time Pens fan will take Lange over that jackass Paul Stiegerwald! The only other announcer I enjoyed aside from Lange was Gary Thorne.

• theageofquarrel - Jul 9, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Don’t you mean Hall of Famer Mike Lange?

• jaybaileys - Jul 9, 2014 at 7:55 AM

So you’re from Philly and don’t like something from Pittsburgh/hockey shocker. The “winds and fires” guy in Philly is so much more creative.

• hockey412 - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Philly, you’re an intelligent guy, and you’ve been around long enough to know a serious comment from a homerism.

As for the Mike Lange thing – it’s a matter of perspective. I was listening to a Pens/Philly game this past year and there was a rather spirited, but idiotic radio guy from Philly announcing (no clue what his name is). Anyway this was when Crosby had a breakaway, and Coburn made a great defensive play to stop him. Crosby ended up taking a slashing penalty on it. Anyway the announcer thought that Crosby drew the penalty from Coburn, and WENT OFF. Saying ‘why is that a penalty? BECAUSE HE’S SIDNEYYYYY CROSBYYYYYY”…..then off course he said “what, oh…the penalty is ON Crosby? oh, um, yeah ok forget what i said….”

I remember thinking ‘what mindless dolts could possibly listen to this idiot and contribute to his continuance on the radio?’ But see, Philly fans wouldn’t mind his idiotic rant…it’s a matter of perpective.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jul 9, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Yes I do mean Hall of Famer Mike Lange but I’m sorry, longevity doesn’t automatically make you a great announcer. Those two sayings are beyond idiotic. They’re nonsense. I get that it’s interesting to bring a little originality to a broadcast but it’s like Don Cherry’s suits coming out of his mouth. I’m sure it’s not all bad, but (especially the Malkin one) it’s gibberish. And it has nothing to do with me being a Flyers fan… if it was “Make me a milkshake Marleau!” I’d think it was horrendous as well. If Jim Jackson or Keith Jones said “Slap me silly Simmonds!” after a Wayne Simmonds goal I’d be annoyed. I’m not gonna win any arguments as a Flyers fan on a Pens page but I’m sure there are plenty outside of Pittsburgh who would agree, atleast on those two calls.

As for the Flyers radio broadcast… I’m sure you’re referring to Chris “Bundy” Therien, a longtime Flyer defenseman with a clear hatred for the Pens. Yes, he is biased, especially against Crosby, who he’s long complained about as “whining”, “crying”, “weasel” (like most of Philadelphia). He’s always got his Flyers glasses on (like Steve Coates) but when they’re not playing the Pens he usually brings some good insights. The other radio guy Tim Saunders is awesome… can’t say the same about Therien, especially when it comes to teams like the Pens, Rangers, or Devils.

• hockey412 - Jul 9, 2014 at 2:21 PM

” it’s like Don Cherry’s suits coming out of his mouth” hahahahaha

Lange’s chiche’s get on my nerves also – I don’t mind the rest of his play calling.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jul 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM

haha I’m glad atleast one Pens fan can find humor in one of my comments. Look I can honestly say that I don’t hear Mike Lange enough to say he doesn’t deserve to be a HOFer or he’s not good at his craft… to me, I just feel those two specific calls are hacky, unimaginative, and corny. It sounds as if he got em from his 5-year old grandson. But I’ll now leave it alone as I’ve clearly had my say on the subject.

• basedrum777 - Jul 9, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Being from NJ I can tell you the tv crew for devils games is so homerish its like they take showers in the locker room after games.

7. phillyphanatic77 - Jul 9, 2014 at 2:56 AM

I’m not gonna discount that Crosby’s “terrible wrist” impacted his playoffs negatively but I hope to not hear the “limp wrist Giroux” stuff again. Giroux had double wrist surgery after putting up 17 pts in 10 playoff games. I commend Crosby for not using it as an excuse but it’s still two big series’ that he’s come up small.

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 9, 2014 at 3:06 AM

Don’t worry Giroux getting arrested easily tops the limp wrist stuff.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jul 9, 2014 at 3:12 AM

Haha I can’t defend the captains weird actions but who has not done something regrettable when they were drunk? It’s still embarrassing but I mean c’mon they’re hockey players, they slap each other everytime they leave the lockerroom to start a new period.

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 9, 2014 at 3:31 AM

…But what he did was outside of hockey. That’s the difference.

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jul 9, 2014 at 7:13 AM

I don’t understand why some Flyers fans (I’m a Flyers fan) try to make jokes against teams that win cups. Until Philadelphia wins a cup, SHUT UP

• steelpenbucs87 - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:21 AM

WillIEverSeeASupInMyLife? is some next level trolling by a likely Pens fan….

As for the Giroux thing – it’s absolutely hysterical and he should definitely be the butt of good-natured ribbing for quite a while. With that said, let’s all come together and make sure that once the joke is dead (which won’t be anytime soon) that we all let it go.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jul 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Yes, steelpenbucs there’s little chance he’s not really a Pens fan. So we’re just never supposed to not say a thing to anything that happens in Pittsburgh, yet Pens fans, bc they hit the draft jackpot (several years in a row), can say whatever they want? Are Leafs fans completely silent when it comes to Montreal or Boston? It’s ridiculous. I know it’s not the same but the Flyers have atleast been in contention for a Cup more recently. If there was any recent Flyers goalie besides Michael Leighton in net (even Bryz, that’s how bad Leighton was in the finals) history could potentially be a lot different. And I wasn’t even making “a joke” against Crosby, I was making a point about a JOKE that was made many a time against Giroux.

As for Giroux, I get that it was weird, wrong, and outside of hockey but the guy was drunk in his hometown on Canada day… he probably thought, in his drunken mind, that he could get away with anything or that it’d be funny. Entertaining, yes (especially for Pens fans), but it’s still not on par with the sexual assaults or gun/drug crimes that seem to come from the NFL every other day. He spent the night in the drunk tank and now has to live with the jokes.

My mind immediately went to this South Park clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02twvxQM7NA

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jul 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Why would you assume I’m not a Flyers fan? Because I’m frustrated and am sick and tired of waiting for a championship or is because I’m not one of the Flyers fans who would like to stop hearing all the crap about “broad street bullies”, “once a Flyer always a Flyer”, or “that’s just Flyers hockey?” I’d rather see GOALS not FIGHTS and I’m embarassed that the best player on the Flyers has now been involved in three off ice incidents being drunk. So because I don’t have an awesome screen name saying “bleedorangandblack” “broadstreetbeatdown” or “phillyphanatic” I’m not a Flyers fan???

• phillyphanatic77 - Jul 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM

And you think because I have the username ‘phillyphanatic’ (which relates more to the Phils anyway) that I’m not tired of seeing them come up short? This entire city is frustrated with all four sports teams! The Flyers let prime Cup chances slip away in 97, 2000, and 03-04 (2010 to a degree). The Eagles lost 3 straight NFC championships and then the Superbowl. And there’s no chance they should’ve choked against that Tampa team, that they owned, in the final game at the Vet. The Sixers have meddled in mediocrity for two+ decades. And the Phils idiot GM (worst in baseball) wasted what should’ve been multiple world series’ titles. We’re all beyond frustrated dude.

Beyond a small faction of severe loyalists the only person who truly believes the “Flyer way” will win a Cup in today’s game is Ed Snider. The problem on the Flyers is not goals! We have a deep top-9, it’s the other side of the puck. This whole idea that Flyers fans would rather see a fight than a goal is an asinine stereotype, perpetrated mostly by people outside the City. That’s why it seems you’re not a real fan. In your mind it appears that the people who don’t constantly whine about things they can’t change are somehow mindless sheep. Am I happy about being $3 million over the cap and having the organization continually draft big Canadians over skilled Europeans? NO. Do I like seeing the face of the organization do stupid stuff? NO. Is it fun to watch recycled Flyers resurface in the organization over and over? NO. But it changes nothing to cry about it on the internet. Ron Hextall, though himself part of the fraternity, does appear to bring more of an LA outlook. Things are changing, but it’s hard because the team is currently handcuffed by past decisions. We have a good, young core and a nice goaltender, and there appear to be some exciting prospects being stocked, but before things can truly change the organization needs to shed itself of some of those ugly warts… it’s a process. But if you really are tired of it, and don’t have the patience to wait for apparent change, then don’t buy any merchandise, don’t watch comcast, and stop going to games.

• theageofquarrel - Jul 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM

How about take your Philly love fest somewhere else. Nobody wants to talk about your crap teams.

8. pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 9, 2014 at 3:04 AM

I knew it! I figured he had some sort of upper body injury. As I said back in May, I give credit for playing through the injury as best he could. Now my only question is when did it happen? Cause he certainly wasn’t the same when he came back from Sochi.

9. dubblelznhell - Jul 9, 2014 at 3:25 AM

Crosby is an enigma. One of those consistently ‘productive’ players who also plays like poop. Don’t care what anyone says, he’s not a great player.

• pdmjr - Jul 9, 2014 at 7:28 AM

Most idiotic hockey comment ever are you a grown-up or did you just get a hold of daddy’s phone?

• hockey412 - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Who IS a great player, then?

• steelpenbucs87 - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I like the quotes around the word productive. As if a Hart, an Art Ross, and two Ted Lindsey’s over the course of the last two years is some sort of pseudo-production.

10. ravanator - Jul 9, 2014 at 7:46 AM

PHT there is a typo in the title of the article, Crosby will undergo vagina surgery. So fun to watch this team fall apart. Glad the Caps have Ovi, a real team leader. Cheers!

#steelcitymeltdown
    #crosbycoachkiller
    #crosbychokesintheplayoffs
    #ovi>crosby

• hockeyfan1701 - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:34 AM

-35 = team leader…in what world

• capsnbohs23 - Jul 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM

He isnt a caps fan, dont feed the troll

• iwt5007 - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:23 AM

• jdlinder11 - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM

lol what?

11. illogic87 - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Even with one wrist he is better than anyone in the league

• kastout11 - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:37 AM

I think he showed otherwise in the playoffs. There are a lot of great players in the NHL, and he is the best, but with the injured wrist, he was a slightly above average player. Although Giroux’s wrist injury appeared to be more significant, he was not right until the Flyers were a third of the way through the season. I don’t remember when he actually had the surgey. I am a Flyers fan and personally cannot stand the Penguins, but I hope that Crosby is healthy when the regular season starts. When he is healthy, and not playing against Philly, he is awesome to watch.

12. caspermilktoast - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Hey Cindy, A blow up doll can reduce injuries to your wrist…. With love, from all Flyers Fans!!!

• theageofquarrel - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Cindy? Don’t you mean your fabulous ” captain closet” Claudia.

• hockey412 - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:58 AM

All Flyers fans use blow up dolls?

• dueman - Jul 9, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I usually don’t bother with the team, or fan bashing comments, but that is too funny 412. Even Flyers fans should be able to laugh at that…

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 9, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I guess you know all too well about a blow up doll.

13. ducksk - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:35 AM

He hurt his risk shoving his GM and coaches out the door.

• hockey412 - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM

He hurt his risk?

14. lakeshoreleafsfan - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:57 AM

NHL seems to be slacking these days. It took them THIS long (until mid-July) to come up with a believable excuse for Sidney Crosby’s crappy performances

15. bmscalise - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Well, that explains why he wouldn’t shoot the puck for most of the playoffs and kept throwing more passes to Brian Gibbons for him to flub.

16. selldannysell - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Uh-oh! Pierre MacGuire better get over there so he can hold his hand!

17. buddysguys - Jul 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Him and Claude Giroux got into a slap fight at Coyote Ugly over the weekend

18. penguins87and71 - Jul 9, 2014 at 4:10 PM

People who call Sidney Crosby soft are the dumbest of the dumb.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches