Jul 9, 2014, 1:02 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby took heat for his performance in the playoffs, but as it turns out he was playing with a “terrible wrist” and will undergo surgery in a matter of days as a result, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s source.
The source said that the surgery Crosby needs isn’t major, but that he could not “play the same way” due to his injury. Although the exact timetable for his recovery isn’t known, he’s not expected to miss any playing time as a result.
Crosby only scored one goal in 13 playoff games, although he was able to record eight assists. The Penguins lost to the New York Rangers in the second round and their latest disappointing showing in the playoffs led to the dismissal of head coach Dan Bylsma and GM Ray Shero.
After the Penguins’ shakeup, Crosby spoke about the need for Pittsburgh to elevate its game in the playoffs.
“Me personally, I’m not taking myself out of that mix either, going pointless against Boston (in the 2013 conference finals) and not really doing a whole lot in the New York series, it’s not easy to deal with that in the off-season,” Crosby said in June. “You don’t like having memories like that.”
The Post-Gazette wasn’t able to reach Crosby for comment on this story, but he has previously stated that he wasn’t playing through an injury in the postseason.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)