Jul 9, 2014, 1:02 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby took heat for his performance in the playoffs, but as it turns out he was playing with a “terrible wrist” and will undergo surgery in a matter of days as a result, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s source.
The source said that the surgery Crosby needs isn’t major, but that he could not “play the same way” due to his injury. Although the exact timetable for his recovery isn’t known, he’s not expected to miss any playing time as a result.
Crosby only scored one goal in 13 playoff games, although he was able to record eight assists. The Penguins lost to the New York Rangers in the second round and their latest disappointing showing in the playoffs led to the dismissal of head coach Dan Bylsma and GM Ray Shero.
After the Penguins’ shakeup, Crosby spoke about the need for Pittsburgh to elevate its game in the playoffs.
“Me personally, I’m not taking myself out of that mix either, going pointless against Boston (in the 2013 conference finals) and not really doing a whole lot in the New York series, it’s not easy to deal with that in the off-season,” Crosby said in June. “You don’t like having memories like that.”
The Post-Gazette wasn’t able to reach Crosby for comment on this story, but he has previously stated that he wasn’t playing through an injury in the postseason.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)