Jul 9, 2014, 1:02 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby took heat for his performance in the playoffs, but as it turns out he was playing with a “terrible wrist” and will undergo surgery in a matter of days as a result, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s source.
The source said that the surgery Crosby needs isn’t major, but that he could not “play the same way” due to his injury. Although the exact timetable for his recovery isn’t known, he’s not expected to miss any playing time as a result.
Crosby only scored one goal in 13 playoff games, although he was able to record eight assists. The Penguins lost to the New York Rangers in the second round and their latest disappointing showing in the playoffs led to the dismissal of head coach Dan Bylsma and GM Ray Shero.
After the Penguins’ shakeup, Crosby spoke about the need for Pittsburgh to elevate its game in the playoffs.
“Me personally, I’m not taking myself out of that mix either, going pointless against Boston (in the 2013 conference finals) and not really doing a whole lot in the New York series, it’s not easy to deal with that in the off-season,” Crosby said in June. “You don’t like having memories like that.”
The Post-Gazette wasn’t able to reach Crosby for comment on this story, but he has previously stated that he wasn’t playing through an injury in the postseason.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)