Jul 9, 2014, 1:02 AM EST
Sidney Crosby took heat for his performance in the playoffs, but as it turns out he was playing with a “terrible wrist” and will undergo surgery in a matter of days as a result, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s source.
The source said that the surgery Crosby needs isn’t major, but that he could not “play the same way” due to his injury. Although the exact timetable for his recovery isn’t known, he’s not expected to miss any playing time as a result.
Crosby only scored one goal in 13 playoff games, although he was able to record eight assists. The Penguins lost to the New York Rangers in the second round and their latest disappointing showing in the playoffs led to the dismissal of head coach Dan Bylsma and GM Ray Shero.
After the Penguins’ shakeup, Crosby spoke about the need for Pittsburgh to elevate its game in the playoffs.
“Me personally, I’m not taking myself out of that mix either, going pointless against Boston (in the 2013 conference finals) and not really doing a whole lot in the New York series, it’s not easy to deal with that in the off-season,” Crosby said in June. “You don’t like having memories like that.”
The Post-Gazette wasn’t able to reach Crosby for comment on this story, but he has previously stated that he wasn’t playing through an injury in the postseason.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 34
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 49
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 33
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 49
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 50
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)