Jun 24, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby has opened up, speaking about a season in which the Pittsburgh Penguins fell well short of their ultimate goal – the Stanley Cup.
The Penguins gave up a 3-1 series lead and were knocked out of the playoffs in the second round by an emotionally charged New York Rangers team. Crosby, despite playing well, produced only a goal and three points in that seven-game series.
Evgeni Malkin had only one goal and two points in the final three games of that series.
The premature post-season exit cost Dan Bylsma his job as head coach, and Ray Shero’s job as general manager. Crosby, who denied a disconnect with Bylsma, took his share of the blame, in conversation with Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.
“I think as far as finding that identity, and don’t get me wrong I think in the regular season it’s important to have success and we’ve proven that, but we have to find a way in the playoffs to elevate our game,” said Crosby, as per ESPN.
“It doesn’t mean change our identity, but we have to elevate it. We haven’t done quite as good a job at doing that. Me personally, I’m not taking myself out of that mix either, going pointless against Boston (in the 2013 conference finals) and not really doing a whole lot in the New York series, it’s not easy to deal with that in the off-season. You don’t like having memories like that.
“That being said, you have to find a way to elevate your game. I think for us, each round it gets tougher and tougher, there’s less space, it’s more physical, maybe we got away with a bit too much on skill during the regular season and weren’t able to grind teams down and play the way you see some teams have success in the playoffs. Keeping that in the back of our mind should help us going into next year.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)