Jul 8, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning have added plenty to their defense this offseason and now they’re adding to their depth as well.
The team announced they’ve signed former New Jersey Devils blue liner Matt Corrente to a one-year two-way contract. Corrente spent last season in the Carolina Hurricanes organization with the AHL Charlotte Checkers. In his NHL career, he’s played 34 games with the Devils during the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons.
Corrente will likely join the Syracuse Crunch in the AHL and be on call to help out when injuries arise in Tampa Bay. After signing Anton Stralman and acquiring Jason Garrison from Vancouver, the Lightning’s top-six on defense is looking good as they’ll join Victor Hedman, Matt Carle, Eric Brewer, and Radko Gudas. Mark Barberio and Andrej Sustr will also compete for time.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)