Mar 20, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Tampa Bay has inked University of Alaska-Fairbanks forward Cody Kunyk to a one-year deal, the club announced on Thursday.
Kunyk, 23, was named the Western Collegiate Hockey Association’s Player of the Year this season after scoring 22 goals and 43 points in 37 games. He’d previously participated in the Lightning’s summer prospect development camp.
Kunyk will report to the Lightning as opposed to its AHL affiliate in Syracuse, assistant GM Julien BriseBois told the Tampa Bay Times.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)