Mar 20, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Tampa Bay has inked University of Alaska-Fairbanks forward Cody Kunyk to a one-year deal, the club announced on Thursday.
Kunyk, 23, was named the Western Collegiate Hockey Association’s Player of the Year this season after scoring 22 goals and 43 points in 37 games. He’d previously participated in the Lightning’s summer prospect development camp.
Kunyk will report to the Lightning as opposed to its AHL affiliate in Syracuse, assistant GM Julien BriseBois told the Tampa Bay Times.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)