Jul 6, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Legwand spoke with Chris Lund of the Senators website and outlined what he thinks he can do for Ottawa.
“I think I can take up the second line center spot and play good minutes for the team and help out in all areas of the game,” Legwand said. “Whether it’s the power play or penalty kill or 5-on-5 I think I can help and helping out with the young guys who are just coming in. They’ve got some solid prospects in their system that are up and coming too.”
Trying to make up for what Jason Spezza did would be close to impossible.
In Legwand’s 14 NHL seasons, he’s been a steady 40-50 point per-season player. Even last season with the Nashville Predators and Detroit Red Wings he combined for 14 goals and 51 points.
Asking for him to put up point-per-game seasons like Spezza did is asking too much, especially for a guy who wound up in Mike Babcock’s doghouse in the playoffs, but having the 33-year-old help out young centers like Kyle Turris and Mika Zibandejad could help the Sens out in the long run.
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 4
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 29
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 75
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)