Jul 6, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Legwand spoke with Chris Lund of the Senators website and outlined what he thinks he can do for Ottawa.
“I think I can take up the second line center spot and play good minutes for the team and help out in all areas of the game,” Legwand said. “Whether it’s the power play or penalty kill or 5-on-5 I think I can help and helping out with the young guys who are just coming in. They’ve got some solid prospects in their system that are up and coming too.”
Trying to make up for what Jason Spezza did would be close to impossible.
In Legwand’s 14 NHL seasons, he’s been a steady 40-50 point per-season player. Even last season with the Nashville Predators and Detroit Red Wings he combined for 14 goals and 51 points.
Asking for him to put up point-per-game seasons like Spezza did is asking too much, especially for a guy who wound up in Mike Babcock’s doghouse in the playoffs, but having the 33-year-old help out young centers like Kyle Turris and Mika Zibandejad could help the Sens out in the long run.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)