Jul 6, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
Legwand spoke with Chris Lund of the Senators website and outlined what he thinks he can do for Ottawa.
“I think I can take up the second line center spot and play good minutes for the team and help out in all areas of the game,” Legwand said. “Whether it’s the power play or penalty kill or 5-on-5 I think I can help and helping out with the young guys who are just coming in. They’ve got some solid prospects in their system that are up and coming too.”
Trying to make up for what Jason Spezza did would be close to impossible.
In Legwand’s 14 NHL seasons, he’s been a steady 40-50 point per-season player. Even last season with the Nashville Predators and Detroit Red Wings he combined for 14 goals and 51 points.
Asking for him to put up point-per-game seasons like Spezza did is asking too much, especially for a guy who wound up in Mike Babcock’s doghouse in the playoffs, but having the 33-year-old help out young centers like Kyle Turris and Mika Zibandejad could help the Sens out in the long run.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)