Jul 3, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Sounds like Philadelphia has widened its search for a potential Vincent Lecavalier suitor. From CSN Philly:
Lecavalier to OTT? Sens want Flyers 2 pick up salary and want something else for taking him off their hands … #vinnysagacontinues
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) July 3, 2014
Three days ago, a proposed Lecavalier-to-Nashville deal reportedly fell through because of finances; the Preds were willing to absorb Lecavalier’s $4.5 million cap hit (through 2018) but wanted the Flyers to retain some of his salary.
To get a clearer picture of the finances, here’s the full breakdown on Lecavalier’s deal (per CapGeek):
Philly paid out next season’s $2M signing bonus on July 1st, so that’s no longer an issue. What is, however, is that Lecavalier will net $6M in cash this year, $6.5 million in 2015-16 and another $6.5M over the final two years of the deal. For teams working on an internal budget, that’s a problem.
What isn’t a problem, though, is for a team like Ottawa to take on Lecavalier’s $4.5M cap hit. The Sens are currently operating nearly $18M under the ceiling — with 22 players under contract, no less — so they’re in spot to take Vinny on, assuming Philly retains some of the salary.
When Flyers signed Lecavalier, an exec told me he’d be first player to be bought out twice. If Flyers dump him, pretty close.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) July 3, 2014
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)