Jul 3, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Sounds like Philadelphia has widened its search for a potential Vincent Lecavalier suitor. From CSN Philly:
Lecavalier to OTT? Sens want Flyers 2 pick up salary and want something else for taking him off their hands … #vinnysagacontinues
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) July 3, 2014
Three days ago, a proposed Lecavalier-to-Nashville deal reportedly fell through because of finances; the Preds were willing to absorb Lecavalier’s $4.5 million cap hit (through 2018) but wanted the Flyers to retain some of his salary.
To get a clearer picture of the finances, here’s the full breakdown on Lecavalier’s deal (per CapGeek):
Philly paid out next season’s $2M signing bonus on July 1st, so that’s no longer an issue. What is, however, is that Lecavalier will net $6M in cash this year, $6.5 million in 2015-16 and another $6.5M over the final two years of the deal. For teams working on an internal budget, that’s a problem.
What isn’t a problem, though, is for a team like Ottawa to take on Lecavalier’s $4.5M cap hit. The Sens are currently operating nearly $18M under the ceiling — with 22 players under contract, no less — so they’re in spot to take Vinny on, assuming Philly retains some of the salary.
When Flyers signed Lecavalier, an exec told me he’d be first player to be bought out twice. If Flyers dump him, pretty close.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) July 3, 2014
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 0
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 19
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20