Jul 3, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
Sounds like Philadelphia has widened its search for a potential Vincent Lecavalier suitor. From CSN Philly:
Lecavalier to OTT? Sens want Flyers 2 pick up salary and want something else for taking him off their hands … #vinnysagacontinues
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) July 3, 2014
Three days ago, a proposed Lecavalier-to-Nashville deal reportedly fell through because of finances; the Preds were willing to absorb Lecavalier’s $4.5 million cap hit (through 2018) but wanted the Flyers to retain some of his salary.
To get a clearer picture of the finances, here’s the full breakdown on Lecavalier’s deal (per CapGeek):
Philly paid out next season’s $2M signing bonus on July 1st, so that’s no longer an issue. What is, however, is that Lecavalier will net $6M in cash this year, $6.5 million in 2015-16 and another $6.5M over the final two years of the deal. For teams working on an internal budget, that’s a problem.
What isn’t a problem, though, is for a team like Ottawa to take on Lecavalier’s $4.5M cap hit. The Sens are currently operating nearly $18M under the ceiling — with 22 players under contract, no less — so they’re in spot to take Vinny on, assuming Philly retains some of the salary.
When Flyers signed Lecavalier, an exec told me he’d be first player to be bought out twice. If Flyers dump him, pretty close.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) July 3, 2014
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)