Jul 3, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Sounds like Philadelphia has widened its search for a potential Vincent Lecavalier suitor. From CSN Philly:
Lecavalier to OTT? Sens want Flyers 2 pick up salary and want something else for taking him off their hands … #vinnysagacontinues
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) July 3, 2014
Three days ago, a proposed Lecavalier-to-Nashville deal reportedly fell through because of finances; the Preds were willing to absorb Lecavalier’s $4.5 million cap hit (through 2018) but wanted the Flyers to retain some of his salary.
To get a clearer picture of the finances, here’s the full breakdown on Lecavalier’s deal (per CapGeek):
Philly paid out next season’s $2M signing bonus on July 1st, so that’s no longer an issue. What is, however, is that Lecavalier will net $6M in cash this year, $6.5 million in 2015-16 and another $6.5M over the final two years of the deal. For teams working on an internal budget, that’s a problem.
What isn’t a problem, though, is for a team like Ottawa to take on Lecavalier’s $4.5M cap hit. The Sens are currently operating nearly $18M under the ceiling — with 22 players under contract, no less — so they’re in spot to take Vinny on, assuming Philly retains some of the salary.
When Flyers signed Lecavalier, an exec told me he’d be first player to be bought out twice. If Flyers dump him, pretty close.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) July 3, 2014
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)