Jul 3, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Sounds like Philadelphia has widened its search for a potential Vincent Lecavalier suitor. From CSN Philly:
Lecavalier to OTT? Sens want Flyers 2 pick up salary and want something else for taking him off their hands … #vinnysagacontinues
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) July 3, 2014
Three days ago, a proposed Lecavalier-to-Nashville deal reportedly fell through because of finances; the Preds were willing to absorb Lecavalier’s $4.5 million cap hit (through 2018) but wanted the Flyers to retain some of his salary.
To get a clearer picture of the finances, here’s the full breakdown on Lecavalier’s deal (per CapGeek):
Philly paid out next season’s $2M signing bonus on July 1st, so that’s no longer an issue. What is, however, is that Lecavalier will net $6M in cash this year, $6.5 million in 2015-16 and another $6.5M over the final two years of the deal. For teams working on an internal budget, that’s a problem.
What isn’t a problem, though, is for a team like Ottawa to take on Lecavalier’s $4.5M cap hit. The Sens are currently operating nearly $18M under the ceiling — with 22 players under contract, no less — so they’re in spot to take Vinny on, assuming Philly retains some of the salary.
When Flyers signed Lecavalier, an exec told me he’d be first player to be bought out twice. If Flyers dump him, pretty close.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) July 3, 2014
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)