Jul 2, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
We wrote last week about defenseman Kyle Cumiskey’s desire to return to the NHL after spending a couple of productive seasons in Sweden with Modo.
Well, as first reported by Sportsnet, Cumiskey, 27, has agreed to terms with the Chicago Blackhawks. A source tells PHT it’s a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000 in the NHL and $400,000 in the minors. However, the Blackhawks have yet to confirm anything. (Update: Confirmed.)
An excellent skater, Cumiskey played for ‘Hawks coach Joel Quenneville in Colorado, so there’s some familiarity there. Whether he can crack Chicago’s lineup remains to be seen, but it’s worth noting that, according to CapGeek, the ‘Hawks are currently a couple of millions dollars over the salary cap.
Even before Cumiskey entered the equation, there was trade speculation involving Johnny Oduya (signed for one more year before UFA, cap hit of $3.375 million), Michal Rozsival (signed for one more year before UFA, cap hit of $2.2 million) and Nick Leddy (signed for one more year before RFA, cap hit of $2.7 million).
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)