Jul 2, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
We wrote last week about defenseman Kyle Cumiskey’s desire to return to the NHL after spending a couple of productive seasons in Sweden with Modo.
Well, as first reported by Sportsnet, Cumiskey, 27, has agreed to terms with the Chicago Blackhawks. A source tells PHT it’s a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000 in the NHL and $400,000 in the minors. However, the Blackhawks have yet to confirm anything. (Update: Confirmed.)
An excellent skater, Cumiskey played for ‘Hawks coach Joel Quenneville in Colorado, so there’s some familiarity there. Whether he can crack Chicago’s lineup remains to be seen, but it’s worth noting that, according to CapGeek, the ‘Hawks are currently a couple of millions dollars over the salary cap.
Even before Cumiskey entered the equation, there was trade speculation involving Johnny Oduya (signed for one more year before UFA, cap hit of $3.375 million), Michal Rozsival (signed for one more year before UFA, cap hit of $2.2 million) and Nick Leddy (signed for one more year before RFA, cap hit of $2.7 million).
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)