Jul 2, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
We wrote last week about defenseman Kyle Cumiskey’s desire to return to the NHL after spending a couple of productive seasons in Sweden with Modo.
Well, as first reported by Sportsnet, Cumiskey, 27, has agreed to terms with the Chicago Blackhawks. A source tells PHT it’s a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000 in the NHL and $400,000 in the minors. However, the Blackhawks have yet to confirm anything. (Update: Confirmed.)
An excellent skater, Cumiskey played for ‘Hawks coach Joel Quenneville in Colorado, so there’s some familiarity there. Whether he can crack Chicago’s lineup remains to be seen, but it’s worth noting that, according to CapGeek, the ‘Hawks are currently a couple of millions dollars over the salary cap.
Even before Cumiskey entered the equation, there was trade speculation involving Johnny Oduya (signed for one more year before UFA, cap hit of $3.375 million), Michal Rozsival (signed for one more year before UFA, cap hit of $2.2 million) and Nick Leddy (signed for one more year before RFA, cap hit of $2.7 million).
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)