Jul 2, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
We wrote last week about defenseman Kyle Cumiskey’s desire to return to the NHL after spending a couple of productive seasons in Sweden with Modo.
Well, as first reported by Sportsnet, Cumiskey, 27, has agreed to terms with the Chicago Blackhawks. A source tells PHT it’s a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000 in the NHL and $400,000 in the minors. However, the Blackhawks have yet to confirm anything. (Update: Confirmed.)
An excellent skater, Cumiskey played for ‘Hawks coach Joel Quenneville in Colorado, so there’s some familiarity there. Whether he can crack Chicago’s lineup remains to be seen, but it’s worth noting that, according to CapGeek, the ‘Hawks are currently a couple of millions dollars over the salary cap.
Even before Cumiskey entered the equation, there was trade speculation involving Johnny Oduya (signed for one more year before UFA, cap hit of $3.375 million), Michal Rozsival (signed for one more year before UFA, cap hit of $2.2 million) and Nick Leddy (signed for one more year before RFA, cap hit of $2.7 million).
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)