Jul 2, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
We wrote last week about defenseman Kyle Cumiskey’s desire to return to the NHL after spending a couple of productive seasons in Sweden with Modo.
Well, as first reported by Sportsnet, Cumiskey, 27, has agreed to terms with the Chicago Blackhawks. A source tells PHT it’s a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000 in the NHL and $400,000 in the minors. However, the Blackhawks have yet to confirm anything. (Update: Confirmed.)
An excellent skater, Cumiskey played for ‘Hawks coach Joel Quenneville in Colorado, so there’s some familiarity there. Whether he can crack Chicago’s lineup remains to be seen, but it’s worth noting that, according to CapGeek, the ‘Hawks are currently a couple of millions dollars over the salary cap.
Even before Cumiskey entered the equation, there was trade speculation involving Johnny Oduya (signed for one more year before UFA, cap hit of $3.375 million), Michal Rozsival (signed for one more year before UFA, cap hit of $2.2 million) and Nick Leddy (signed for one more year before RFA, cap hit of $2.7 million).
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)