Jun 30, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
Another day, another Sabre bites the dust.
On Monday, it was diminutive forward Cory Conacher — Buffalo GM Tim Murray declined to give the 24-year-old a qualifying offer, meaning Conacher will go from a restricted free agent to unrestricted tomorrow, when the summer market opens.
The move doesn’t come as a huge surprise. Earlier in the day, Murray balked at qualifying d-man Jamie McBain while hemming and hawing about doing the same for Conacher, who was picked up off waivers last season from Ottawa and scored six points in 19 games. Today’s decision marks the end of a steady decline for the former Canisius College standout; Conacher, who split a solid rookie campaign between the Sens and Lightning, finished sixth in Calder voting during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and scored three playoff goals for the Sens that spring.
He fell out of favor in Ottawa 60 games into last season, however, and failed to impress Buffalo brass enough to keep him around. Per the Buffalo News, qualifying Conacher would have cost the Sabres $874,125.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)