Jun 30, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
Another day, another Sabre bites the dust.
On Monday, it was diminutive forward Cory Conacher — Buffalo GM Tim Murray declined to give the 24-year-old a qualifying offer, meaning Conacher will go from a restricted free agent to unrestricted tomorrow, when the summer market opens.
The move doesn’t come as a huge surprise. Earlier in the day, Murray balked at qualifying d-man Jamie McBain while hemming and hawing about doing the same for Conacher, who was picked up off waivers last season from Ottawa and scored six points in 19 games. Today’s decision marks the end of a steady decline for the former Canisius College standout; Conacher, who split a solid rookie campaign between the Sens and Lightning, finished sixth in Calder voting during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign and scored three playoff goals for the Sens that spring.
He fell out of favor in Ottawa 60 games into last season, however, and failed to impress Buffalo brass enough to keep him around. Per the Buffalo News, qualifying Conacher would have cost the Sabres $874,125.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)