Jun 29, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray is pulling out all the stops to make his mark.
Ehrhoff, 31, signed a 10-year, $40 million deal with Buffalo in 2011, the same summer they signed forward Ville Leino to a six-year, $27 million deal. The Sabres used their first compliance buyout on Leino on June 18.
Update (3:45 p.m. ET): Sabres make it official – they’ve used a compliance buyout on Ehrhoff.
While buying out Leino was expected, the Ehrhoff move came out of nowhere. Two seasons ago he was Buffalo’s top blue liner and defensive point producer. This past season he struggled a bit scoring six goals and adding 27 assists for a Sabres team that was worst in the league.
While Ehrhoff’s play was mostly fine, Ehrhoff was subject to the league’s cap recapture penalty if his career ended before the contract was up. That means the Sabres would’ve been punished against the salary cap in a big way if he was out of hockey before the 2020-21 season when the deal ended. CapGeek.com has different ways it could’ve broke down.
The buyout is a compliance buyout and his $4 million cap hit won’t be on the books, but the Sabres will be paying him $12 million until 2027-28.
Ehrhoff will now be free to be signed as a free agent on July 1 and he’ll have no shortage of suitors. He’s capable of running a power play and playing big minutes. He’ll compete with Pittsburgh’s Matt Niskanen for big free agent dollars.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)