Jun 30, 2014, 10:09 PM EST
As talented as James Neal is, the scoring forward has, in the past, made headlines for running afoul of the league’s player safety department, resulting in numerous suspensions.
On Friday, the 26-year-old Neal was traded to the Nashville Predators during the first round of the NHL Draft. For Pittsburgh, moving Neal was simply a matter of trying to “change the mix” with the Penguins, according to new general manager Jim Rutherford.
The topic of his three suspensions, including his latest for kneeing Brad Marchand in the head, was brought up in a conference between Neal and reports on Monday.
“Your emotion gets the better of you. There were things that have happened in my game that you regret. I have to change and be better for it. I’ve changed as a player, I’ve grown as a player,” said Neal, as per The Tennessean.
“I’m still young, I have a very long way to go. Mistakes happen and I’m going to be better for it and move forward and not let that stuff happen again. I have to concentrate on being a leader on this team and taking my game to the next level.”
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (74)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)