Jun 30, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
When Mike Babcock coached Team Canada at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, he had Duncan Keith, a lefty, on a defensive pair with Shea Weber, a righty, then Marc-Edouard Vlasic, a lefty, with Drew Doughty, a righty, then Jay Bouwmeester, a lefty, with Alex Pietrangelo, a righty.
This was not a coincidence. This was the plan. And it worked out rather well.
Next season in Detroit, Babcock is hoping he can have something a bit closer to that for his Red Wings.
“I just think it’s so much easier when you have a right and lefty on every pair,” he said this weekend, per MLive. “All you got to do is look at L.A. (Stanley Cup champion Kings), a right and lefty on every pair. Makes it easier to get through the neutral zone, easier off D-zone faceoffs to execute. You have the puck more. You can get it off the wall and shoot it in the offensive zone. To me it just makes sense.”
At the moment, the Wings are overloaded with lefties. Which is why there’s been so much speculation surrounding pending unrestricted free agents Dan Boyle and Matt Niskanen, each of whom shoot right. Anton Stralman and Tom Gilbert are other pending UFA righties, with general manager Ken Holland under pressure to come away with at least one of them.
The challenge for Holland is all the other teams that will be pursuing those guys. If the GM fails to land at least one, don’t expect the coach to be pleased.
“I’ve been all over [Holland],” said Babcock, “but there’s no tree to grab them off of, so we’ll get what we get.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)