Niskanen’s agent is confident he can get 7-year deal for ‘premier defenseman in the free agent market’
Jun 30, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
From Alex Prewitt of the Washington Post:
Ah, the advantages of becoming an unrestricted free agent at age 27. Among pending UFAs under 30, no defenseman is in a stronger position than Matt Niskanen heading into Tuesday’s frenzy. Anton Stralman, also 27, is maybe the closest.
Sheehy also thinks his client is “certainly the premier defenseman in the free agent market.” Which is debatable given Christian Ehrhoff‘s sudden availability, but Niskanen has the advantage of being a right-handed shot, and lots of teams are looking for one of those.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5