Niskanen’s agent is confident he can get 7-year deal for ‘premier defenseman in the free agent market’
Jun 30, 2014, 11:06 AM EST
From Alex Prewitt of the Washington Post:
Ah, the advantages of becoming an unrestricted free agent at age 27. Among pending UFAs under 30, no defenseman is in a stronger position than Matt Niskanen heading into Tuesday’s frenzy. Anton Stralman, also 27, is maybe the closest.
Sheehy also thinks his client is “certainly the premier defenseman in the free agent market.” Which is debatable given Christian Ehrhoff‘s sudden availability, but Niskanen has the advantage of being a right-handed shot, and lots of teams are looking for one of those.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11