Niskanen’s agent is confident he can get 7-year deal for ‘premier defenseman in the free agent market’
Jun 30, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
From Alex Prewitt of the Washington Post:
Ah, the advantages of becoming an unrestricted free agent at age 27. Among pending UFAs under 30, no defenseman is in a stronger position than Matt Niskanen heading into Tuesday’s frenzy. Anton Stralman, also 27, is maybe the closest.
Sheehy also thinks his client is “certainly the premier defenseman in the free agent market.” Which is debatable given Christian Ehrhoff‘s sudden availability, but Niskanen has the advantage of being a right-handed shot, and lots of teams are looking for one of those.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 2
- In praise of John Tavares 11
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36