Jun 29, 2014, 3:53 PM EDT
The seemingly endless dalliance between Thomas Vanek and the Minnesota Wild continues today.
Louis Jean of TVA Sports reports Vanek met face-to-face with the Wild today in Minnesota. That kind of meeting was easily arranged because Minnesota is where he calls home when hockey’s not in season.
Ever since the start of the final season of Vanek’s contract talk has centered around how the Wild would be the front-runners to land him in the offseason. After playing for three different teams and his season ending with a thud in the Stanley Cup Playoffs with Montreal, the two sides are talking it up.
Vanek, 30, won’t be returning to the Canadiens after his disappointing postseason. It was said two weeks ago that it “wasn’t a sure thing” he would sign with Minnesota, but after all the talk recently, at the very least the Wild are making it clear they’d like to bring him in.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 5
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)