Jun 29, 2014, 3:53 PM EDT
The seemingly endless dalliance between Thomas Vanek and the Minnesota Wild continues today.
Louis Jean of TVA Sports reports Vanek met face-to-face with the Wild today in Minnesota. That kind of meeting was easily arranged because Minnesota is where he calls home when hockey’s not in season.
Ever since the start of the final season of Vanek’s contract talk has centered around how the Wild would be the front-runners to land him in the offseason. After playing for three different teams and his season ending with a thud in the Stanley Cup Playoffs with Montreal, the two sides are talking it up.
Vanek, 30, won’t be returning to the Canadiens after his disappointing postseason. It was said two weeks ago that it “wasn’t a sure thing” he would sign with Minnesota, but after all the talk recently, at the very least the Wild are making it clear they’d like to bring him in.
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 5
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 35
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12