Jun 14, 2014, 2:51 PM EDT
Now that the offseason is upon us, it’s time to start speculating on where key free agents could wind up. Perhaps the biggest name to be had this summer is Montreal Canadiens forward Thomas Vanek.
While it’s been expected he’ll wind up signing with the Minnesota Wild, that may not be so certain now.
Michael Russo of The Star Tribune says the Wild may be a bit leery of Vanek because of what it might cost to bring him in and because of his disappointing postseason in Montreal.
There is a “price point” the Wild is willing to reach for certain players. Thomas Vanek is no longer a given. Four or five months ago, I think it was a given. But the bright future that many of the kids provide the Wild coupled with Vanek’s tough postseason with Montreal has changed things.
Vanek is going to get paid no matter what this summer. His playoff performance aside (five goals, 10 points in 17 games) he’s been a consistent point producer throughout his career and is a two-time 40+ goal scorer. This season he had 27 goals and 68 points while playing for the Buffalo Sabres, New York Islanders, and Canadiens.
Doing that kind of work gets you noticed but so does not getting it done when your team needs you most in the postseason. With the salary cap likely to jump up to over $70 million, he’s going to get paid but finding the right situation will be tricky.
If a team can work him in the way the Los Angeles Kings did with Marian Gaborik that’d make for an ideal fit. That might not be the case in Minnesota.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)