Jun 14, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
Mark Spector of Sportsnet spoke with Oilers GM Craig MacTavish about what the team needs to address this summer and finding defensive depth via free agency or trades was high on his list.
“We’d like to get a five-six defenseman who is a good penalty killer and good shut-down player,” MacTavish said. “So, we’re looking at both extremes of our defense. We’re trying to get bigger up front. We’ve got the toughest element to get (skill), but I think we can augment that with players who are bigger, stronger and more productive than what we’ve had.”
Spector followed that up suggesting the Oilers again target Coburn to help beef up the defense. David Staples of the Edmonton Journal has an idea what might work to get a deal done between the two sides.
Would the Oilers give up Martin Marincin or Oscar Klefbom for Coburn? That is what it would take, one would expect. Marincin could well be headed for the kind of career Coburn now has, so would it be wise to give up on that kind of prospect? The Oilers also seem high on Klefbom.
The Flyers surely can’t afford to just give away defensemen and a younger blue liner in return would help. There’s no doubt there’s a need there for both teams, but finding help in each other is the hard part. The talk about Coburn from those in Edmonton certainly makes it seem like there’s a desire there.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)