Jun 14, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
Mark Spector of Sportsnet spoke with Oilers GM Craig MacTavish about what the team needs to address this summer and finding defensive depth via free agency or trades was high on his list.
“We’d like to get a five-six defenseman who is a good penalty killer and good shut-down player,” MacTavish said. “So, we’re looking at both extremes of our defense. We’re trying to get bigger up front. We’ve got the toughest element to get (skill), but I think we can augment that with players who are bigger, stronger and more productive than what we’ve had.”
Spector followed that up suggesting the Oilers again target Coburn to help beef up the defense. David Staples of the Edmonton Journal has an idea what might work to get a deal done between the two sides.
Would the Oilers give up Martin Marincin or Oscar Klefbom for Coburn? That is what it would take, one would expect. Marincin could well be headed for the kind of career Coburn now has, so would it be wise to give up on that kind of prospect? The Oilers also seem high on Klefbom.
The Flyers surely can’t afford to just give away defensemen and a younger blue liner in return would help. There’s no doubt there’s a need there for both teams, but finding help in each other is the hard part. The talk about Coburn from those in Edmonton certainly makes it seem like there’s a desire there.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 1
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 14
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)