Jun 14, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
Mark Spector of Sportsnet spoke with Oilers GM Craig MacTavish about what the team needs to address this summer and finding defensive depth via free agency or trades was high on his list.
“We’d like to get a five-six defenseman who is a good penalty killer and good shut-down player,” MacTavish said. “So, we’re looking at both extremes of our defense. We’re trying to get bigger up front. We’ve got the toughest element to get (skill), but I think we can augment that with players who are bigger, stronger and more productive than what we’ve had.”
Spector followed that up suggesting the Oilers again target Coburn to help beef up the defense. David Staples of the Edmonton Journal has an idea what might work to get a deal done between the two sides.
Would the Oilers give up Martin Marincin or Oscar Klefbom for Coburn? That is what it would take, one would expect. Marincin could well be headed for the kind of career Coburn now has, so would it be wise to give up on that kind of prospect? The Oilers also seem high on Klefbom.
The Flyers surely can’t afford to just give away defensemen and a younger blue liner in return would help. There’s no doubt there’s a need there for both teams, but finding help in each other is the hard part. The talk about Coburn from those in Edmonton certainly makes it seem like there’s a desire there.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)