Jun 28, 2013, 4:39 PM EST
The Flyers might be busy moving out a defenseman during the offseason.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports Philadelphia is looking at trading blueliner Braydon Coburn. His source comes from a rival GM who has heard about Coburn’s availability and the Edmonton Oilers and Carolina Hurricanes are two teams that could seek to get involved.
Both the Oilers and Hurricanes have drastic needs to upgrade their defense corps and both teams can afford Coburn’s $4.5 million cap hit over the next three years of his contract. Of course, Coburn was one of Philly’s better defenders last season and while they’ve signed Mark Streit to a four-year deal, he’s not-so hot of a defender.
If the Flyers do move Coburn at the draft, you wonder if they’re asking to swap first-round picks as part of the deal. With some highly-regarded defenders available early on, the Flyers might look to grab one even higher. Philly currently has the No. 11 pick overall in the first.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 0
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)