Jun 28, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
The Flyers might be busy moving out a defenseman during the offseason.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports Philadelphia is looking at trading blueliner Braydon Coburn. His source comes from a rival GM who has heard about Coburn’s availability and the Edmonton Oilers and Carolina Hurricanes are two teams that could seek to get involved.
Both the Oilers and Hurricanes have drastic needs to upgrade their defense corps and both teams can afford Coburn’s $4.5 million cap hit over the next three years of his contract. Of course, Coburn was one of Philly’s better defenders last season and while they’ve signed Mark Streit to a four-year deal, he’s not-so hot of a defender.
If the Flyers do move Coburn at the draft, you wonder if they’re asking to swap first-round picks as part of the deal. With some highly-regarded defenders available early on, the Flyers might look to grab one even higher. Philly currently has the No. 11 pick overall in the first.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)