Jun 28, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
The Flyers might be busy moving out a defenseman during the offseason.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports Philadelphia is looking at trading blueliner Braydon Coburn. His source comes from a rival GM who has heard about Coburn’s availability and the Edmonton Oilers and Carolina Hurricanes are two teams that could seek to get involved.
Both the Oilers and Hurricanes have drastic needs to upgrade their defense corps and both teams can afford Coburn’s $4.5 million cap hit over the next three years of his contract. Of course, Coburn was one of Philly’s better defenders last season and while they’ve signed Mark Streit to a four-year deal, he’s not-so hot of a defender.
If the Flyers do move Coburn at the draft, you wonder if they’re asking to swap first-round picks as part of the deal. With some highly-regarded defenders available early on, the Flyers might look to grab one even higher. Philly currently has the No. 11 pick overall in the first.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (37)