Jun 13, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings couldn’t wrap up the Stanley Cup Final on Wednesday in New York. They’ll have another chance on Friday, in front of their home fans, and with a 3-1 series lead on the New York Rangers.
Failing to win that fourth game in their first opportunity presented a cross-country trip for the Kings, as well as the Rangers, for Game 5 at the Staples Center. New York may have remained alive for now. Momentum? Well, that’s another thing, and apparently media driven, according to the comments from L.A.’s head coach Darryl Sutter.
A win, and the Kings take their second Stanley Cup championship in the last three years.
So, not like they’re short on the quality of experience. If there is another motivation to closing this thing out on Friday, it’s the elimination of yet another trip back to New York, the site of a Game 6 if necessary.
“I have confidence in this team in every aspect and every facet of hockey,” Kings forward Justin Williams told NHL.com. “We’ll be ready. We know what’s at stake. We don’t want to go back there. It’s a long plane ride.
“Just win – that’s with a big period and exclamation point after it. I don’t care where it is. Win one more.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)