Jun 13, 2014, 1:30 AM EST
The L.A. Kings couldn’t wrap up the Stanley Cup Final on Wednesday in New York. They’ll have another chance on Friday, in front of their home fans, and with a 3-1 series lead on the New York Rangers.
Failing to win that fourth game in their first opportunity presented a cross-country trip for the Kings, as well as the Rangers, for Game 5 at the Staples Center. New York may have remained alive for now. Momentum? Well, that’s another thing, and apparently media driven, according to the comments from L.A.’s head coach Darryl Sutter.
A win, and the Kings take their second Stanley Cup championship in the last three years.
So, not like they’re short on the quality of experience. If there is another motivation to closing this thing out on Friday, it’s the elimination of yet another trip back to New York, the site of a Game 6 if necessary.
“I have confidence in this team in every aspect and every facet of hockey,” Kings forward Justin Williams told NHL.com. “We’ll be ready. We know what’s at stake. We don’t want to go back there. It’s a long plane ride.
“Just win – that’s with a big period and exclamation point after it. I don’t care where it is. Win one more.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)