Jun 13, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings couldn’t wrap up the Stanley Cup Final on Wednesday in New York. They’ll have another chance on Friday, in front of their home fans, and with a 3-1 series lead on the New York Rangers.
Failing to win that fourth game in their first opportunity presented a cross-country trip for the Kings, as well as the Rangers, for Game 5 at the Staples Center. New York may have remained alive for now. Momentum? Well, that’s another thing, and apparently media driven, according to the comments from L.A.’s head coach Darryl Sutter.
A win, and the Kings take their second Stanley Cup championship in the last three years.
So, not like they’re short on the quality of experience. If there is another motivation to closing this thing out on Friday, it’s the elimination of yet another trip back to New York, the site of a Game 6 if necessary.
“I have confidence in this team in every aspect and every facet of hockey,” Kings forward Justin Williams told NHL.com. “We’ll be ready. We know what’s at stake. We don’t want to go back there. It’s a long plane ride.
“Just win – that’s with a big period and exclamation point after it. I don’t care where it is. Win one more.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 17
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)