Jun 13, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings couldn’t wrap up the Stanley Cup Final on Wednesday in New York. They’ll have another chance on Friday, in front of their home fans, and with a 3-1 series lead on the New York Rangers.
Failing to win that fourth game in their first opportunity presented a cross-country trip for the Kings, as well as the Rangers, for Game 5 at the Staples Center. New York may have remained alive for now. Momentum? Well, that’s another thing, and apparently media driven, according to the comments from L.A.’s head coach Darryl Sutter.
A win, and the Kings take their second Stanley Cup championship in the last three years.
So, not like they’re short on the quality of experience. If there is another motivation to closing this thing out on Friday, it’s the elimination of yet another trip back to New York, the site of a Game 6 if necessary.
“I have confidence in this team in every aspect and every facet of hockey,” Kings forward Justin Williams told NHL.com. “We’ll be ready. We know what’s at stake. We don’t want to go back there. It’s a long plane ride.
“Just win – that’s with a big period and exclamation point after it. I don’t care where it is. Win one more.”
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)