Jun 12, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
The New York Rangers’ victory in Game 4 have given them hope of being able to storm back in the Stanley Cup Final. After seeing Henrik Lundqvist stand on his head to help the Rangers beat the Los Angeles Kings 2-1, you might think they have momentum.
Kings coach Darryl Sutter, however, isn’t buying into it and gave his own take on where, when, and how momentum exists.
“I think the question was asked several times. Asked again last night about momentum. I know it’s usually media-created,” Sutter said.
“There’s momentum during games and momentum with penalties, momentum with scoring chances, things like that. But if it was always about momentum from game to game, then most series would be over in four and it wouldn’t be called four-out-of-seven, it would be the team that won the first game must have the momentum, and the team that won the last game must have all the momentum.”
That’s a typically zen-like take from the often understated Kings coach.
Before you fly off the handle about him saying momentum is “media created” he’s got a point. His team does still have a 3-1 lead in the series and two of the final three games, if they’re necessary, take place at Staples Center.
For what it’s worth, Kings goalie Jonathan Quick agreed with his coach.
“I’ve said this all playoffs,” Quick said. “I don’t know if it really carries over, game to game. It’s 0-0. All we’re trying to do is have a good start and go from there.”
It took an unreal effort from Lundqvist and a little bit of help from snowy ice for the Rangers to escape with a win. That might serve to be inspiration for them, but (cliché alert!) momentum is only as big as the next goal.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54