Jun 12, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
The New York Rangers’ victory in Game 4 have given them hope of being able to storm back in the Stanley Cup Final. After seeing Henrik Lundqvist stand on his head to help the Rangers beat the Los Angeles Kings 2-1, you might think they have momentum.
Kings coach Darryl Sutter, however, isn’t buying into it and gave his own take on where, when, and how momentum exists.
“I think the question was asked several times. Asked again last night about momentum. I know it’s usually media-created,” Sutter said.
“There’s momentum during games and momentum with penalties, momentum with scoring chances, things like that. But if it was always about momentum from game to game, then most series would be over in four and it wouldn’t be called four-out-of-seven, it would be the team that won the first game must have the momentum, and the team that won the last game must have all the momentum.”
That’s a typically zen-like take from the often understated Kings coach.
Before you fly off the handle about him saying momentum is “media created” he’s got a point. His team does still have a 3-1 lead in the series and two of the final three games, if they’re necessary, take place at Staples Center.
For what it’s worth, Kings goalie Jonathan Quick agreed with his coach.
“I’ve said this all playoffs,” Quick said. “I don’t know if it really carries over, game to game. It’s 0-0. All we’re trying to do is have a good start and go from there.”
It took an unreal effort from Lundqvist and a little bit of help from snowy ice for the Rangers to escape with a win. That might serve to be inspiration for them, but (cliché alert!) momentum is only as big as the next goal.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)