Jun 5, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Although Jonas Gustavsson had difficulty staying healthy during his two-year stint with Detroit, he proved to be a capable backup when he was available and the Red Wings would like to have him back, according to MLive.com.
The key though is that they want to 29-year-old to accept a one-year contract. That’s because they believe Petr Mrazek, 22, is close to being NHL-ready and re-signing Gustavsson would simply enable them to give Mrazek another year of seasoning in the minors first.
If Gustavsson can’t agree to terms with the Red Wings then he will become an unrestricted free agent this summer. He’s coming off of a two-year, $3 million deal.
Beyond Gustavsson, Detroit doesn’t have many pending unrestricted free agents that they appear to be interested in keeping. It’s believed that they would like to re-sign Daniel Alfredsson, but first the veteran forward needs to decide if he wants to keep playing.
The Red Wings might also extend an offer to defenseman Kyle Quincey, but with the market for blueliners thin, Quincey will probably find a better deal elsewhere.
“I told some of our free agents if the term and number fit what we want to do we’re interested,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said.
“We’re moving slowly. I don’t want to lock into something that in two years I’m trying to figure my way out of. … The depth of our organization and the development of kids allows me to move slowly and see what transpires over the next month.”
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 50
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50