Jun 5, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Although Jonas Gustavsson had difficulty staying healthy during his two-year stint with Detroit, he proved to be a capable backup when he was available and the Red Wings would like to have him back, according to MLive.com.
The key though is that they want to 29-year-old to accept a one-year contract. That’s because they believe Petr Mrazek, 22, is close to being NHL-ready and re-signing Gustavsson would simply enable them to give Mrazek another year of seasoning in the minors first.
If Gustavsson can’t agree to terms with the Red Wings then he will become an unrestricted free agent this summer. He’s coming off of a two-year, $3 million deal.
Beyond Gustavsson, Detroit doesn’t have many pending unrestricted free agents that they appear to be interested in keeping. It’s believed that they would like to re-sign Daniel Alfredsson, but first the veteran forward needs to decide if he wants to keep playing.
The Red Wings might also extend an offer to defenseman Kyle Quincey, but with the market for blueliners thin, Quincey will probably find a better deal elsewhere.
“I told some of our free agents if the term and number fit what we want to do we’re interested,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said.
“We’re moving slowly. I don’t want to lock into something that in two years I’m trying to figure my way out of. … The depth of our organization and the development of kids allows me to move slowly and see what transpires over the next month.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 4
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 31
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)