Jun 5, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Although Jonas Gustavsson had difficulty staying healthy during his two-year stint with Detroit, he proved to be a capable backup when he was available and the Red Wings would like to have him back, according to MLive.com.
The key though is that they want to 29-year-old to accept a one-year contract. That’s because they believe Petr Mrazek, 22, is close to being NHL-ready and re-signing Gustavsson would simply enable them to give Mrazek another year of seasoning in the minors first.
If Gustavsson can’t agree to terms with the Red Wings then he will become an unrestricted free agent this summer. He’s coming off of a two-year, $3 million deal.
Beyond Gustavsson, Detroit doesn’t have many pending unrestricted free agents that they appear to be interested in keeping. It’s believed that they would like to re-sign Daniel Alfredsson, but first the veteran forward needs to decide if he wants to keep playing.
The Red Wings might also extend an offer to defenseman Kyle Quincey, but with the market for blueliners thin, Quincey will probably find a better deal elsewhere.
“I told some of our free agents if the term and number fit what we want to do we’re interested,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said.
“We’re moving slowly. I don’t want to lock into something that in two years I’m trying to figure my way out of. … The depth of our organization and the development of kids allows me to move slowly and see what transpires over the next month.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)