Jun 5, 2014, 12:47 PM EST
Although Jonas Gustavsson had difficulty staying healthy during his two-year stint with Detroit, he proved to be a capable backup when he was available and the Red Wings would like to have him back, according to MLive.com.
The key though is that they want to 29-year-old to accept a one-year contract. That’s because they believe Petr Mrazek, 22, is close to being NHL-ready and re-signing Gustavsson would simply enable them to give Mrazek another year of seasoning in the minors first.
If Gustavsson can’t agree to terms with the Red Wings then he will become an unrestricted free agent this summer. He’s coming off of a two-year, $3 million deal.
Beyond Gustavsson, Detroit doesn’t have many pending unrestricted free agents that they appear to be interested in keeping. It’s believed that they would like to re-sign Daniel Alfredsson, but first the veteran forward needs to decide if he wants to keep playing.
The Red Wings might also extend an offer to defenseman Kyle Quincey, but with the market for blueliners thin, Quincey will probably find a better deal elsewhere.
“I told some of our free agents if the term and number fit what we want to do we’re interested,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said.
“We’re moving slowly. I don’t want to lock into something that in two years I’m trying to figure my way out of. … The depth of our organization and the development of kids allows me to move slowly and see what transpires over the next month.”
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)