Jun 5, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Although Jonas Gustavsson had difficulty staying healthy during his two-year stint with Detroit, he proved to be a capable backup when he was available and the Red Wings would like to have him back, according to MLive.com.
The key though is that they want to 29-year-old to accept a one-year contract. That’s because they believe Petr Mrazek, 22, is close to being NHL-ready and re-signing Gustavsson would simply enable them to give Mrazek another year of seasoning in the minors first.
If Gustavsson can’t agree to terms with the Red Wings then he will become an unrestricted free agent this summer. He’s coming off of a two-year, $3 million deal.
Beyond Gustavsson, Detroit doesn’t have many pending unrestricted free agents that they appear to be interested in keeping. It’s believed that they would like to re-sign Daniel Alfredsson, but first the veteran forward needs to decide if he wants to keep playing.
The Red Wings might also extend an offer to defenseman Kyle Quincey, but with the market for blueliners thin, Quincey will probably find a better deal elsewhere.
“I told some of our free agents if the term and number fit what we want to do we’re interested,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said.
“We’re moving slowly. I don’t want to lock into something that in two years I’m trying to figure my way out of. … The depth of our organization and the development of kids allows me to move slowly and see what transpires over the next month.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)