May 7, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
It’s starting to look a little like last season for Daniel Alfredsson.
The 41-year-old Detroit Red Wings forward is again weighing his thoughts on whether he wants to play another season. As Bob Duff of The Windsor Star shares, Alfie is leaning towards playing again but recognizes it has to end eventually.
“There’s a lot of factors that play in, mentally, physically and family,” Alfredsson said. “I still love the game, there’s no question about that. At the same time, you’ve got to end it sometime.”
Don’t expect the same kind of dance to develop between Alfredsson and the Red Wings like he had with the Ottawa Senators last summer.
Alfredsson led the Wings in scoring and he said he’ll take as long as he needs to figure out if he can give it another go. As Duff shared, Detroit GM Ken Holland told Alfredsson they won’t start making decisions on the roster until mid-June.
Detroit will have to make decisions on where some veterans up front belong on the roster as Alfredsson, David Legwand, Mikael Samuelsson, Todd Bertuzzi, and Danny Cleary are all unrestricted free agents. With the emergence of young guys like Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco, and Riley Sheahan there could be a significant drop in the average age of the team next season.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)