May 7, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
It’s starting to look a little like last season for Daniel Alfredsson.
The 41-year-old Detroit Red Wings forward is again weighing his thoughts on whether he wants to play another season. As Bob Duff of The Windsor Star shares, Alfie is leaning towards playing again but recognizes it has to end eventually.
“There’s a lot of factors that play in, mentally, physically and family,” Alfredsson said. “I still love the game, there’s no question about that. At the same time, you’ve got to end it sometime.”
Don’t expect the same kind of dance to develop between Alfredsson and the Red Wings like he had with the Ottawa Senators last summer.
Alfredsson led the Wings in scoring and he said he’ll take as long as he needs to figure out if he can give it another go. As Duff shared, Detroit GM Ken Holland told Alfredsson they won’t start making decisions on the roster until mid-June.
Detroit will have to make decisions on where some veterans up front belong on the roster as Alfredsson, David Legwand, Mikael Samuelsson, Todd Bertuzzi, and Danny Cleary are all unrestricted free agents. With the emergence of young guys like Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco, and Riley Sheahan there could be a significant drop in the average age of the team next season.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)