May 23, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have confirmed the recent reports that Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Robinson will stay on as an associate coach. They also given him another title.
Robinson is now the team’s director of player development. As the name implies, he’ll be responsible for guiding the Sharks’ players and prospects in addition to his previous duties under head coach Todd McLellan.
Player development is always crucial for obvious reasons, but it’s particularly important right now as the Sharks want to give bigger opportunities to their young players next season.
In Robinson, the Sharks have a man with a wealth of hockey knowledge and a history of postseason success. He won the Stanley Cup six times as a player. He also won the Cup in 2000 as the New Jersey Devils’ bench boss and was an assistant coach when the Devils won it all in 1995 and 2003.
“Larry is one of the most respected minds in hockey and we are thrilled to continue having him involved with our organization,” said Sharks GM Doug Wilson.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 19
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 61
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (61)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)