May 22, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks still aren’t at all pleased with how their season ended, losing in historic fashion to the L.A. Kings in the first round of the playoffs. But it sounds unlikely at this point that they’ll make a big splash when free agency comes around this summer.
The reluctance comes with the Sharks transitioning the team to their younger players.
“We will look. We’ll explore everything. But, when you’re turning the team over to a younger core, you’ve got to be careful who you bring in from the outside that ends up superseding them. We’re giving them the opportunity. Here’s your team,” said Sharks general manager Doug Wilson, as per CSN Bay Area and Yahoo! Sports Talk Live.
“It doesn’t mean we won’t add people, whether it be trades or potential free agency going forward, but if you asked me right now, I would say probably not.”
The Sharks had the Kings on the ropes, leading in their opening-round best-of-seven series 3-0, when L.A. pulled off a miraculous comeback to advance to the second round, and now to the Western Conference Final.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 9
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 6
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 28
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)