May 22, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks still aren’t at all pleased with how their season ended, losing in historic fashion to the L.A. Kings in the first round of the playoffs. But it sounds unlikely at this point that they’ll make a big splash when free agency comes around this summer.
The reluctance comes with the Sharks transitioning the team to their younger players.
“We will look. We’ll explore everything. But, when you’re turning the team over to a younger core, you’ve got to be careful who you bring in from the outside that ends up superseding them. We’re giving them the opportunity. Here’s your team,” said Sharks general manager Doug Wilson, as per CSN Bay Area and Yahoo! Sports Talk Live.
“It doesn’t mean we won’t add people, whether it be trades or potential free agency going forward, but if you asked me right now, I would say probably not.”
The Sharks had the Kings on the ropes, leading in their opening-round best-of-seven series 3-0, when L.A. pulled off a miraculous comeback to advance to the second round, and now to the Western Conference Final.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 17
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)