May 20, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
We wrote last week about Zdeno Chara, and how considering the 37-year-old defenseman isn’t getting any younger, the Bruins will need youngsters Dougie Hamilton and Torey Krug to carry on the tradition of great Boston blue-liners if the B’s are to remain Stanley Cup contenders for years to come.
Today, while not outright disagreeing with that notion, Bruins president Cam Neely tried to quell any talk of Chara’s decline.
“Zdeno is still, in my opinion, the best defender in the game,” said Neely, per CSN New England. “I still think we’re in our window. We just have to recognize what we need to do to make our team better, whether it’s guys playing better, or whether we’re adding different players.”
Certainly, Chara is far from finished, and for the record, we never suggested he was. He earned a Norris Trophy nomination this season, and he led the B’s in playoff ice time, averaging 25:20 per game. He’s got a couple of good years left, even if they’re not quite at the level they were a few years ago.
Neely is also right that the Bruins “haven’t fallen off the cliff.” There’s more than enough quality youth on their roster to remain contenders. Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci are only 28; Brad Marchand is 26; Milan Lucic is 25; and Reilly Smith is just 23.
The key will be to keep adding to the mix, and getting that all-important “support from the bottom” that no team can afford to ignore in the NHL. Not ever.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)