May 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Dan Boyle was “kind of expecting it,” but he was still “devastated” by the San Jose Sharks’ decision to not bring the 37-year-old defenseman back next season.
“I was clear that I wanted to be back here and I loved it here,” said Boyle, per CSN Bay Area. “It can still be pretty tough news to take, but when you lose like we did, you figure that changes are going to be made. Part of me thought this could happen.”
The good news for Boyle is that, even at his age, he should garner good interest as an unrestricted free agent. The Detroit Red Wings, for instance, are in the market for a “top-four right-handed shooting defenseman.” Could there be a fit there?
Boyle played 75 games for the Sharks in 2013-14, scoring 12 times with 24 assists, then added four assists in seven playoff games.
He’s believed to want a two-year contract.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)