Boyle wants to finish career in San Jose

May 31, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

Dan Boyle Getty Images

Dan Boyle‘s name was mentioned in a number of trade rumors prior to the April 3 deadline, but ultimately he stayed with the San Jose Sharks and helped them get within a game of the Western Conference finals.

Yesterday, the 36-year-old defenseman suggested he doesn’t want to hear the same rumors again next year.

“I’ve made it clear this is where I want to be and this is where I want to finish my career,” said Boyle, per David Pollak of the Mercury News.

In 11 playoff games, Boyle had three goals and five assists while leading the Sharks in average ice time (22:11).

“I still think I have a lot of miles left in me,” he said.

Boyle has one year left on his contract (cap hit $6.67 million) and is eligible to sign an extension this summer.

It’s not clear if the Sharks will entertain that option though, or what Boyle has in mind for money and/or term.

1. sjsharks66 - May 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM

3 mil a year for 4 years. Finish his career as a shark for an O.K. Amount of money.

• ethanmacleod1685 - May 31, 2013 at 2:57 PM

He’s worth more than 3 mil, man. Lol

• sjawesome - May 31, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I totally agree. He needs to give the sharks a huge discount so they have the cap space to get some young players to make a run for a cup. The same can be said for Thornton and marleau when their deals are done. If they don’t sign for cheap the sharks need to trade them for good prospects or high draft picks. The sharks are not getting any younger

2. sjsharks66 - May 31, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Oh i totally agree. Except the Sharks need to add more key players. Goal scorers to be exact. Those are going to cost some money. Especially since Ryder is a UFA. Plus the Sharks really should buyout Havlat. This summer can be really good for the Sharks.

3. giantsfan155 - May 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I really love boyle and I hope we can sign him to a good deal for both him and the organization. We need his veteran presence on the blue line. If he really wants to stay in san jose, he’ll definitely compromise.

4. joelwrobinson - May 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM