May 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
When the Chicago Blackhawks face either the Los Angeles Kings or Anaheim Ducks in the Western Conference Final, they’ll do it with Andrew Shaw likely back in the lineup.
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville gave the update on Shaw on Thursday as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shares. The scrappy forward has been out with a right leg injury since getting hurt during Game 1 against the Minnesota Wild.
“We expect to have him back on the ice this weekend and we’ll get a better determination of when he’ll play,” said Quenneville. “He certainly adds an ingredient you appreciate as a coach and a teammate. He has that relentless competitiveness, some skill offensive and he’s hard to play against. He has a nice set of hands, can take face-offs, can play center and wing. You look forward to getting him back.“
While a Game 1 return doesn’t appear likely with Game 1 of the Western Final coming on Sunday in either Anaheim or Chicago, getting him back at all provides a lift.
Joakim Nordstrom took Shaw’s spot in the lineup in the meantime, but with Shaw’s ability to annoy opponents and produce offensively, they’ll get a big lift to have him back against the Ducks or Kings.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)