May 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
When the Chicago Blackhawks face either the Los Angeles Kings or Anaheim Ducks in the Western Conference Final, they’ll do it with Andrew Shaw likely back in the lineup.
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville gave the update on Shaw on Thursday as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shares. The scrappy forward has been out with a right leg injury since getting hurt during Game 1 against the Minnesota Wild.
“We expect to have him back on the ice this weekend and we’ll get a better determination of when he’ll play,” said Quenneville. “He certainly adds an ingredient you appreciate as a coach and a teammate. He has that relentless competitiveness, some skill offensive and he’s hard to play against. He has a nice set of hands, can take face-offs, can play center and wing. You look forward to getting him back.“
While a Game 1 return doesn’t appear likely with Game 1 of the Western Final coming on Sunday in either Anaheim or Chicago, getting him back at all provides a lift.
Joakim Nordstrom took Shaw’s spot in the lineup in the meantime, but with Shaw’s ability to annoy opponents and produce offensively, they’ll get a big lift to have him back against the Ducks or Kings.
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 0
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 13
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 30
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)