May 2, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks will be without Andrew Shaw for the remainder of this game, the club announced a short time ago.
The 22-year-old center was injured in the first period, his last shift coming with 9:05 remaining in the opening frame, according to the NHL’s Time on Ice Report. The injury occurred on a body check along the boards from Wild defenseman Clayton Stoner.
Injuries are always a concern, particularly at this time of the season. Shaw, reliable with the Blackhawks in their run to a Stanley Cup championship last June, had four points in his last three playoff games, dating back to Chicago’s first-round series win over the St. Louis Blues to begin these playoffs.
Andrew Shaw will not return tonight for the Blackhawks (injured in first period)—
Sara Orlesky (@saraorlesky) May 03, 2014
Updated: Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville said Shaw is day-to-day with a lower-body injury, as per Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8