May 15, 2014, 6:34 PM EST
It didn’t take long for the San Jose Sharks to start making decisions on the roster for next season.
Sharks GM Doug Wilson spoke on a conference call with the media today and said the team would not bring back defenseman Dan Boyle or forward Martin Havlat next season, as Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com shares. While Boyle is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, Havlat has one more year left on his contract with a $5 million cap hit.
Presumably the Sharks will try to trade Havlat, but if they can’t find a taker the team still has both of its compliance buyouts.
Wilson also added that Brent Burns would be moved back to defense. With Boyle out of the picture, moving the puck-moving Burns back on the blue line makes sense. He spent the past season and a half playing forward and scored 22 goals this season.
Havlat dealt with injury problems this season and appeared to fall out of favor with coach Todd McLellan as he played on the fourth line when was in the lineup. Even though Havlat’s agent Allan Walsh said his client was happy in San Jose in November, the team is moving on without him regardless.
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 14
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 29
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 53
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers host Flyers on Rivalry Night 4
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)