May 11, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
The NHL has fined Thornton $2,820.52, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for his unsportsmanlike actions near the end of Game 5. That amount works out to be a half-day’s pay, in case you’re wondering how that amount came to be.
Thornton sprayed Subban with water with 47 seconds left in the third period, something Subban noted after the game. No penalty was assessed in the situation and Subban said he couldn’t see out of his visor during play because of Thornton’s actions.
The Bruins and Canadiens have been finding different ways to annoy each other during this series and this latest incident just gets thrown on the pile. At least a guy getting sprayed with water is better than a bench-clearing brawl or a dirty hit, right?
If you missed how it all went down, here’s video of the situation late from Game 5.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)