May 11, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
The NHL has fined Thornton $2,820.52, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for his unsportsmanlike actions near the end of Game 5. That amount works out to be a half-day’s pay, in case you’re wondering how that amount came to be.
Thornton sprayed Subban with water with 47 seconds left in the third period, something Subban noted after the game. No penalty was assessed in the situation and Subban said he couldn’t see out of his visor during play because of Thornton’s actions.
The Bruins and Canadiens have been finding different ways to annoy each other during this series and this latest incident just gets thrown on the pile. At least a guy getting sprayed with water is better than a bench-clearing brawl or a dirty hit, right?
If you missed how it all went down, here’s video of the situation late from Game 5.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)