May 11, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
The NHL has fined Thornton $2,820.52, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for his unsportsmanlike actions near the end of Game 5. That amount works out to be a half-day’s pay, in case you’re wondering how that amount came to be.
Thornton sprayed Subban with water with 47 seconds left in the third period, something Subban noted after the game. No penalty was assessed in the situation and Subban said he couldn’t see out of his visor during play because of Thornton’s actions.
The Bruins and Canadiens have been finding different ways to annoy each other during this series and this latest incident just gets thrown on the pile. At least a guy getting sprayed with water is better than a bench-clearing brawl or a dirty hit, right?
If you missed how it all went down, here’s video of the situation late from Game 5.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 15
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17