May 11, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
The NHL has fined Thornton $2,820.52, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for his unsportsmanlike actions near the end of Game 5. That amount works out to be a half-day’s pay, in case you’re wondering how that amount came to be.
Thornton sprayed Subban with water with 47 seconds left in the third period, something Subban noted after the game. No penalty was assessed in the situation and Subban said he couldn’t see out of his visor during play because of Thornton’s actions.
The Bruins and Canadiens have been finding different ways to annoy each other during this series and this latest incident just gets thrown on the pile. At least a guy getting sprayed with water is better than a bench-clearing brawl or a dirty hit, right?
If you missed how it all went down, here’s video of the situation late from Game 5.
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 3
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 4
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 22
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 45