May 10, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Subban was playing the puck near the Bruins bench, when Thornton, on the bench, sprayed him with the contents of the water bottle in his hand. The incident has become a major topic of discussion on Twitter, just moments after the Bruins defeated the Canadiens to take a 3-2 series lead and push their rivals to the brink of elimination in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
“It happen twice. If it was me who did that it would have been in the news for the next 3 days,” said Subban after the game, according to Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports.
This isn’t the first incident involving a player using a water bottle to get under the skin of an opponent. Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry sprayed water into the glove of L.A. Kings forward Jeff Carter during a stoppage in play.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 5
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 14
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 11
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 17
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)