May 10, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Subban was playing the puck near the Bruins bench, when Thornton, on the bench, sprayed him with the contents of the water bottle in his hand. The incident has become a major topic of discussion on Twitter, just moments after the Bruins defeated the Canadiens to take a 3-2 series lead and push their rivals to the brink of elimination in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
“It happen twice. If it was me who did that it would have been in the news for the next 3 days,” said Subban after the game, according to Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports.
This isn’t the first incident involving a player using a water bottle to get under the skin of an opponent. Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry sprayed water into the glove of L.A. Kings forward Jeff Carter during a stoppage in play.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)