May 9, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“If you look at the playoffs from the start, there are certain players that are having some trouble contributing offensively. These types of players need to adjust to the intensity of the playoffs.”
That was Montreal coach Michel Therrien today, in the wake of the Canadiens’ 1-0 loss to Boston last night at the Bell Centre. According to NHL.com, the coach was talking about forwards Max Pacioretty and David Desharnais, even if he didn’t specifically name names.
Pacioretty and Desharnais have just a goal each in these playoffs — this after the former scored 39 times in the regular season, and the latter finished third on the Habs with 52 points.
While Therrien conceded that “they are being checked very tightly,” he put the onus on the players to “adapt to that challenge” and “bring us some more offense.”
The Canadiens have scored 11 goals in the first four games against Boston, and that’s actually not too bad against one of the best defensive teams in hockey. That said, five of the 11 goals were scored by defensemen, with two coming from bottom-six forwards Dale Weise and Rene Bourque, and another into an empty net.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)