May 9, 2014, 8:41 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville probably isn’t worried about making sure his team is more entertaining in Game 4 than they were in Game 3. Instead, he’s hoping to avoid another effort like the one that resulted in a 4-0 win by the Minnesota Wild.
Attribute it to experimentation, the Wild getting the last change or any number of factors, but it looks like he’s shuffling things up quite a bit, as NHL.com reports.
The once-red-hot line of Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Bryan Bickell may look quite different as Ben Smith skated in Kane’s spot. Kane gets bumped down to a line with Brandon Saad and Marcus Kruger while there’s the “third line” of Patrick Sharp, Michal Handzus and Marian Hossa. (Or would Kane’s line be the third line in this alignment?)
There’s always the chance that Quenneville was just messing around with different combos before going back to different lines tonight. It’s also far from unusual for a coach to make tweaks during a game.
Players like Smith note to NHL.com that they’re quite comfortable with all the chances.
“All we can really do is prepare the way we had [the lines on Friday morning] and we’ll see what happens,” Smith said. “I think I have played with everyone this season, so it makes it a little easier. We’re always prepared for that because that is the way it is. It keeps us guessing, keeps us in the game and keeps us involved.”
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)