May 9, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
You’ll forgive members of the Minnesota Wild for bristling whenever they’re accused of playing a boring style of hockey. Besides maybe New Jersey, no team in the NHL is more associated with the trap than the Wild, and nobody gets too excited to watch a team sit back, clog up the neutral zone and suffocate its opposition.
So when Minnesota and Chicago played a bit of a snoozer Tuesday — the teams combined for just 37 shots in the Wild’s 4-0 win — Minny forward Zach Parise was quick to point out the Blackhawks’ role in that, too.
“Show me a team in the NHL that doesn’t play a trap and I’ll call you a liar because every single team does it,” said Parise, per the StarTribune. “Whoever does it the best, then they get called a defensive team. I don’t agree with that. Every single team plays a trap.”
He added, sarcastically: “Of course we’re going to be blamed for [Tuesday's game]. I mean, it’s the high-flying Hawks.”
Of course, what Parise failed to mention is that Wild games often experience a dearth of shots. During the regular season, it was an average of 54.3 (26.6 for them, 27.7 for their opponents.) Only New Jersey games (52.3) averaged fewer combined shots, while Ottawa’s (67.5) had the most. Chicago’s had 60.3 (33.1 for; 27.2 against).
Anyway, we’re quite certain Wild fans will take boring wins over exciting losses, especially in the playoffs against the defending Cup champs.
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 15
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 9
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 40
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (120)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)